Editorial: Increasing enrollment creates growing pains

The mass migration of freshmen, transfer and returning students to the ISU campus in some ways resembles an ant farm upended onto the floor. With students scurrying to figure out textbooks, classes and new residency, both the campus and general Ames area are in chaos.

This scene is repeated at the start of each fall semester, but this year brings even more commotion. With record-breaking enrollment for the third year in a row and a larger-than-ever swarm of freshmen, campus seems to be overflowing.

Returning students have voiced complaints of the cramped campus, but even incoming freshmen who have yet to step foot in their first college classes can feel the effects of increased enrollment.

Of 15 random freshmen spoken to about enrollment issues, eight expressed concerns over an inability to get into the right classes. Obviously, not all students are going to be able to have the perfect schedule, but the larger the student body, the scarcer the seats in the most desirable of classes.

Additionally, six out of the same 15 complained about the extremely long lines outside of dining centers such as the Union Drive Marketplace. Those who were here last year remember the noontime dining center rush that made eating on campus inconvenient; this problem is only worsened by the student enlargement.

Overcrowded cafeterias and classrooms may seem like bad news, but fortunately those aren’t the only elements of increasing enrollment. To expand and improve as a university, students have to suffer through the discomfort of “growing pains.”

Some of the same students who voiced their unhappiness with the issue also spoke of the positive aspects of increased enrollment.

“You can tell it’s a good college to go to, that’s why enrollment is growing,” said Jordan Vorwald, freshman in computer engineering.

Others think similarly, reasoning that increased enrollment will only serve to benefit the reputation of the university. It is more noteworthy if a student’s degree is from a school that has been experiencing severe growth.

In addition to building the “Iowa State brand,” some freshmen felt that a larger number of students would provide better competition, leading to a more academically motivated student body.

It is that attitude that serves best for students at Iowa State. Individuals might not be able to do anything about the sheer number of students on campus, but they can certainly work to improve their standing among the masses.

In a sea of ever-changing faces, one person has to work harder to be recognized. Maybe the rapid growth of the university is not ideal for everyone, but there is a way to make the best of it. As Iowa State’s enrollment and reputation continue to grow, students will thrive and leave Ames with a degree worth bragging about.