IG: Welcome Letter – James Dorsett

Saige Heyer

Dear International Students,

On behalf of International Students and Scholars Office, I want to welcome everyone to campus for the 2013-2014 academic year.

For new international students, Iowa State is a great place to be. There is great faculty here who want to help you learn. We also have many academic and support service offices on campus that are ready to assist you with just about any issue you have. Drop in and talk to them.

Fall is a wonderful time to be in Ames. In a few months the leaves will be changing, and the campus will be a sea of color. Quite soon the Cyclones will be battling their Big 12 rivals in a variety of sports, and student organizations will be busy with lots of exciting activities.

Obviously, you will need to figure out your classes and do well in them. But take some time to get to know new people, make some new friends and get involved in the campus life around you. This may be your only chance to experience another country, another language or another culture. Make the most of your experience.

And if there is anything we at the office can do to help make your experience at Iowa State, in Ames and in the United States better, please come see us. The office offers a variety of programs throughout the year to help you become better integrated into the life and fabric on campus and to get to know other international and American students, staff and faculty, as well as making new friends in the local Ames and surrounding community.

In addition to our services and programs, our advisers are here to provide assistance with questions regarding matters as diverse as maintaining your legal non-immigrant status, applying to U.S. visas abroad, legally working on and off campus or reducing your credit load. They can give you guidance on dealing with financial difficulties, health problems or any other difficulties you may be encountering. If you need additional assistance beyond what we can do, we will help you find the assistance you need. And we are here if you just want to dorp by and say hello. We are here for you and would love to see you.

For our continuing students and our visiting scholars, we wish you continued success in your studies and work, and are here to help you in any way we can. Check out our website for more details throughout the semester for the office and ISU international events and programs.

Once more, welcome to Iowa State for the new academic year. We look forward to helping you make it successful and memorable. Go Cyclones!

James Dorsett

Director of International Students and Scholars Office

3248 Memorial Union

www.isso.iastate.edu