Destination Iowa State kicks off events in Hilton Coliseum

Michelle Schoening

Iowa State has expanded its family in two ways since the Destination Iowa State Kickoff. It has welcomed the class of 2017 and has three new members of the ISU Alumni Association.

Destination Iowa State is a program created to provide a smooth transition into college for incoming freshmen and transfer students. During the three-day event students will participate in events such as tours of campus, various workshops, community service projects and a late night shopping trip to Target.

On Aug. 22, the first night of DIS, more than 5,100 students went to the Center of ExCYtment to learn about various clubs and organizations offered on campus and attend a picnic before heading into Hilton Coliseum for the DIS Kickoff.

The DIS Kickoff included several speakers, among which were Tom Hill, senior vice president for student affairs, Steven Leath, ISU president, and Ann Campbell, Ames mayor.

Will Keim, a motivational speaker, returned to the event once again and publicly joined the ISU Alumni Association along with two members of his family.

“DIS is the ultimate way to get acclimated before you head off to classes,” said Ashley Kohagen, sophomore in agricultural engineering and a Cyclone Aide. “College can be really stressful. … Being able to come to DIS and get my mind off actually going to classes those first couple days that I am down here really eased my mind.”

DIS requires a year-long process of planning to which Cyclone Aides contribute. Although Cyclone Aides work the event put on by the office of New Student Programs, the new students are led through the program in small groups by upperclass students who applied to become DIS team leaders.

“They keep fine-tuning it every year,” Keim said. “They are scripted, but they allow for change, and they keep instituting new things. The way to be great is to do something great and keep adapting and changing.”

President Leath spoke at the DIS Kickoff for the first time this year. He emphasized that students should never hesitate to ask a question.

Pamela Anthony, dean of students at Iowa State, also spoke at the kickoff.

“The most obvious change is that we have more students,” said Anthony, regarding DIS. “More students means more excitement.”

Transfer student Maddy Sandoz, sophomore in industrial engineering, said she attended DIS to meet new friends and see what the campus has to offer.

“I expect to make great life-long friends and have a great time at school with my new major,” Sandoz said.

DIS will wrap up its official program Saturday evening with the Cyclone Sweep, a Target shopping event created specifically for ISU students.