NTK: Recreation Services

Beau Berkley

For many students, exercise is an outlet to escape the every day grind of classes and studying. It is also made accessible through several gyms located on Iowa State’s campus.

Lied Recreation Athletic Center: Built in 1990, the Lied Recreation Center is home to one of the three largest indoor tracks in the world. The eight lane, 300 meter track is located on the first floor along with 20 basketball courts that can also be used for volleyball and other activities.

The second floor is where the wrestling room and the athletic weight room reside. Just above the second floor is the 8,000 square foot weight room complete with lifting equipment, free and plate weights and cardio machines.

State Gymnasium and Beyer Hall: State Gym has served many purposes during it’s 100 year tenure on campus. Originally, State Gym housed a swimming pool, handball courts and a track, but was later used as a dining hall for Army recruits on campus.

A fire in 1962 and subsequent loss of equipment led to State Gym’s renovation in 1967. Renovations in 2011 included the construction of a 40 foot rock wall, three regulation size basketball courts, a pool with a 25 person hot-tub and three meter diving board and new strength equipment including free weights and plate weights.

Just across the street from State Gymnasium is Beyer Hall. Beyer Hall is complete with three basketball courts, a weight room, six racquet ball courts and a competition swimming pool.