NTK Places to Park on Campus

Watch out! Illegal parking on campus can cost you dearly. Parking in reserved spaces/lots without a permit, illegally on the street, and at overtime meters will result in your vehicle being ticketed. A full list of parking violations and their fines can be found at https://www-parking.sws.iastate.edu/ticket/fines/. Get a permit before you park it!

Saige Heyer

Iowa State University has designated parking lots for students, faculty and staff. The prices for parking permits at Iowa State are prorated and have been set by the Board of Regents.

Most of the parking lots on campus are designated as staff lots and can only be used by students after 5:30 p.m. during the week and on the weekends. There are a few designated spots around campus for motorcycles and the cost for a motorcycle permit is $50.

There are metered parking spots in various lots on campus. Smart Cards can be used east of the Armory (Lot 21), south of Lied Recreation Center (Lot 100) and the East Parking Deck near Forker Hall.

A parking permit for the residence halls, the commuter lots or College of Veterinary Medicine costs $131. The residence halls lots include Richardson Court Association, Union Drive Association, Towers Residence Association, Buchanan, Frederiksen Court and Schilleter and University Village.

The commuter lots are located north of Molecular Biology (Lot 29), at the corner of University Boulevard and Haber Road (Lot 68) and on Wanda Daley Drive (Lot 120). As of Aug. 5, permits for the commuter lots were made available to students who live within the city limits of Ames.

Students may also purchase permits to park at Jack Trice Stadium in sections 52-58. It doesn’t matter which lot you park in each time as long as it’s one designated for student parking. The cost for one of these permits is $91.

Between Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum is the Park and Ride lot. Students, faculty and staff who choose to park here do not need a permit and can catch a ride to campus or Vet Med on the 23 Orange route.

Medical permits are available as long as there is a note from the doctor (specification can be found the on Iowa State’s Website under the Department of Public Safety). These permits cannot exceed six months, unless the person shows their parking permit for persons with disabilities from the department of transportation and it is current and valid.

The fines for parking in the wrong space or lot include $30 for illegal parking, $15 for improper parking, $10 for overtime at meters and $25 for no permit in a reserved lot or space. If your car is towed, contact the parking office in the Armory or call Elmquist Deckers at 515-232-6670. You must have a valid driver’s license to retrieve your vehicle.