CyGuide: CHS offers diverse organizations to students

Jessi Wilson

The College of Human Sciences offers many programs and organizations within its diverse departments, allowing students to become involved.

Apparel, Events and Hospitality Management

AMD Multi-Cultural Organization (AMCO) is a group of multi-cultural students within the apparel, merchandising and design major. This organization enhances students’ preparation for professional careers through learning activities, social events and fundraising opportunities. It strives to develop leadership while mentoring and supporting students.

Closets Collide is a student organization that organizes clothing swap events. These events promote sustainable retail on the ISU campus and in the Ames community.

Club Managers Association of America is a pre-professional hospitality club focused on the advancement of the club management profession. Club members are enriched through educational sessions, guest lectures from area club managers. They also get to attend meetings throughout the state, club tours, fine dining events, seminars, resume enhancement and also get to organize and participate in fundraising events.

The Hotel/Restaurant Institution Management Club promotes educational activities in the hospitality industry for students interested in a hospitality management career.

The ISU Fashion Show is one of the largest student-produced and promoted events in the nation. Weekly meetings are conducted with producers, directors and committee members. Even though this is a classroom experience, an application is required for consideration for admission into the class.

MODA (Marketing, Organizing, Designing and Analyzing fashion) Fashion Club is a student-run organization that serves as a forum to examine and discuss issues in the business of fashion. It encourages students to develop knowledge, skills and talents related to fashion outside of the formal classroom. It also provides activities and programs to enhance networking skills and also encourages work experience, internships and careers in fashion. Members participate in activities including meetings, trips, service events and other campus activities.

The National Society of Minorities in Hospitality is the premier professional organization for all hospitality students. This organization addresses diversity and multiculturalism, as well as the career development of student members. Members volunteer for “Keep ISU Beautiful” and also actively fundraise to help support travel to the annual national conference.

Trend Magazine is a student-run publication that focuses on fashion, beauty, body and lifestyle in the ISU community. There are several committees including editorial, advertising, public relations, photography and styling, communications, finance and graphic design.

Human Development and Family Studies

The Human Development and Family Studies Club participates in activities with local organizations and is involved in the community through various activities and services. Examples of these activities include assisting with community fundraisers, socializing with the elderly, providing crafts for grade-school children, volunteering for homeless shelters and raising money and items to benefit those in need.

Participating in activities allows members to apply what they have learned about human development and family services to real-life situations.

Kinesiology

Alliance for Health and Fitness Professionals takes field trips to various fitness facilities and invites speakers from various settings to club meetings. Other typical activities include fitness testing, blood pressure checks and involvement in campus activities such as Relay for Life.

Fellowship of Athletic Trainers Club (FAT Club) serves athletic training students to prepare for professional careers and provide social activities.

The Health Promotion Club co-sponsors various health related events on campus and participates in the ExerCYse as Medicine campaign.

The Kinesiology and Health Club serves all career paths related to Kinesiology. Members participate in various campus activities related to exercise and health, coordinate the State Special Olympics Volleyball tournament, take field trips and listen to related speakers on campus.

Pre-Occupational Therapy, Pre-Physician and Pre-Physical Therapy Clubs: These three clubs serve students interested in occupational therapy, physical therapy and those interested in becoming physician’s assistants by bringing professionals and school representatives to club meetings from various graduate programs.

School of Education

Alpha Upsilon Alpha/International Reading Association is an honorary society that promotes literacy in the classroom. The organization has been involved with book drives and the Young Writer’s Conference held annually at Iowa State.

Best Buddies is a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the lives of people with intellectual disabilities by providing opportunities for one-on-one friendships. College student volunteers are matched in friendships with persons with intellectual disabilities.

The Council for Exceptional Children increases awareness of exceptional children and youth and promotes the professional preparation of ISU students interested in providing for exceptional individuals.

Members of the Iowa Association for the Education of Young Children actively participate with other organizations and schools around the Story County area to promote and facilitate the healthy, active development of all young children.

Iowa State University Education Association has a mission to help pre-service teachers succeed and prepare them for their future careers.

Kappa Delta Pi, an International Honor Society in Education, promotes excellence in and recognizes outstanding contributions to education.

Members of the Educational Computing Club are provided with opportunities to learn more about various aspects of instructional technology in K-12 classrooms. TECC members are committed to discovering and developing best teaching practices that integrate technology and impact student learning at the local, state, national and international level.