CyGuide: CyServe Council takes over 10,000 Hours Show

Photo: Lindsay Kayser/Iowa State Daily

Cooper Hollmaier, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication, is currently the president of CyServe Council. CyServe Council was formerly known as the 10,000 Hours Show.

Daniel Bush

The 10,000 Hours Show has been reformed into the CyServe Council. It has new goals and focuses that are shaping its fall 2013 term.

“Our ultimate goal is to spread the word about volunteering in the community of Story County,” according to the 10,000 Hours Show website. “We hope to get 1,000 students to complete 10 hours of community service apiece.”

Cooper Hollmaier, president of CyServe Council, said they looked at the previous goal of the group and decided it needed something more.

“We found that was kind of a group that really got people volunteering, but they kind of stopped after the 10 hours,” Hollmaier said. “So we really want to move away from that and more to an organization that promotes volunteering and keeps people volunteering after they do their 10 hours.”

Students involved with the 10,000 Hours Show who completed 10 hours of service were rewarded with a special concert just for them.

The CyServe Council plans to keep that same tradition.

The 10,000 Hours Show officially ended as an organization at the end of the fall 2012 term.

The same group of people then decided to change some things within the organization: name, structure of members, constitution and mission, said Kevin Merrill, adviser of CyServe Council.

“It is more like they morphed into CyServe Council [rather] than 10k stopping and CyServe starting,” Merrill said.

The CyServe Council officially started in January 2013.

The main focus of CyServe Council is to rebrand the organization into a group that will facilitate volunteering on campus, Merrill said.

There are several different volunteer organizations on campus. Merrill said there is a lot of information out there about volunteering and it would be a lot of work for students to sort through it themselves.

“We want to kind of be like a funnel for that information to students,” Merrill said. “We also want to provide some one-time-only volunteer days … where you don’t have to join an organization to do some service every once in a while.”

These days are known as 10K Days, according to the CyServe Council page.

One idea that Merrill mentioned was getting together with all volunteer organizations once a month to discuss what everyone is planning for the month, getting all the information in one place.

Nicole Hershberger, undergraduate adviser of CyServe Council, also gave her thoughts on the focus of the organization.

“We’re just giving you more opportunities that we’ll get either from other clubs on campus or just from the volunteer center,” Hershberger said. “We’re just trying to keep everyone informed of what they can do.”

CyServe Council is reaching out to all students and members of the community to make them aware of the service opportunities available.

“Anything and everything,” Hershberger said of the different types of service that CyServe Council provides.

The CyServe Council knows they are still doing the celebration, but hasn’t decided what it will contain.

“Right now, they are gearing up for a big push in the fall to make their name known that they are there for students who are looking for some service opportunities,” Merrill said.