Apparel student granted internship/scholarship from ISU alumnus

Todd Synder

Todd Synder

Jessi Wilson

Eileen Moores, sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design, received the Ruth Glock Internship Scholarship with Todd Snyder New York for this summer.

Todd Snyder, ISU alumnus and menswear designer, started the scholarship and internship program last year in honor of the late apparel, events and hospitality management professor, Ruth Glock, which he awards to one apparel, merchandising and design student.

The winner, Moores, was announced at the 2013 Fashion Show by Cole Kersey, an ISU alumnus who now works for the Todd Snyder brand.

“We are thrilled that Todd has been so supportive of our students,” said Ann Thye, academic adviser in apparel, merchandising and design, about Snyder’s readiness to help out other ISU students. “He has many alumni working for him in New York and also at his Tailgate Clothing Company in Ankeny.”

Applying because of her interest in the internship with Snyder, who she referred to as an inspiration, Moores said the $5,000 scholarship was an incentive that will go toward her living expenses for the summer.

“It’s kind of cool to know about a designer and know his personal story and just how he started out in a smaller area,” Moores explained her admiration for Snyder. “There’s always those typical stories about ‘this person started out small and they made it,’ but it’s in my local area; it’s from this university.”

Moores will intern for Snyder in New York City and will assist with the development of the brand’s spring 2014 line.

“It’s probably the typical intern grunt work, which I’m totally fine with because I just get to have the opportunity to be around people who are big in the industry,” Moores laughed. “I’m fine with anything; if it’s fetching coffee, I’m fine with it.”

Moores applied for the position by submitting a mood board, along with her ideas on how she thought she could improve the Todd Snyder line.

“My idea was having these small details, like Navajo or Aztec print, that give the classic garments that he makes a little bit of personality so people can kind of personalize their garments,” Moores said.

Moores, who originally had interest in womenswear, said she now realizes the rising menswear industry; her work as the Menswear Director of Trend Magazine led her to discover a new route in fashion.

“I think that now, these days, a lot of guys are taking into consideration fashion,” Moores said. “It’s a growing industry.”

Moores said although she is nervous about living on her own in New York, she is also excited to meet new people.

“What I’m most excited for is seeing how the actual industry works,” Moores said. “I know a few other people who have had internships at these huge businesses and they don’t get to see the whole production process.”

She said Kersey, who interviewed her for the position, explained that because Todd Snyder New York is housed in a smaller office, she will get to see the production from beginning to end.

“I feel like that’s really cool that I get to see that,” Moores said, “and I’ll get more of a knowledge of how the garment industry works.”