Redshirt freshmen revel in first matches at Hilton

Photo: Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt freshman Morgan Kuhrt goes for the kill against Nebraska-Omaha on April 13, 2013, at Hilton Coliseum.  The Cyclones won their first match 25-15, 25-14, 15-8.

Maddy Arnold

The ISU volleyball team’s two redshirt freshmen started their careers at Iowa State on a high note during a home tournament on Saturday, April 13, 2013.

Iowa State (3-2) began the day with wins against Nebraska-Omaha 3-0 and Northern Iowa 3-0. The Cyclones lost to Minnesota 2-0 in their final match.

For middle blocker Natalie Vondrak and outside hitter Morgan Kuhrt, it was their first time competing at home in front of a crowd.

“I thought we really got after it,” Vondrak said. “There are just little things like covering that we still need to work out and just go over in practice. Overall we played with really high intensity.”

Iowa State’s first match was the best for the redshirt freshmen. Kuhrt racked up 13 kills, three digs and an assist against Nebraska-Omaha. Vondrak also tallied six kills against the Mavericks.

Kuhrt continued her skillful debut in Iowa State’s final two matches. She made another 12 kills and five digs for the Cyclones.

“It’s great for Kuhrt, who had to redshirt last year, to get all of this experience in Hilton,” said ISU coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. “[With] a high level of competition, she has to go back and pass, play defense and serve. It’s pretty huge for her to get that experience in here.”

In her final two matches, Vondrak notched seven kills. She also had a block against Northern Iowa and combined for 10 block assists on the afternoon.

“I think she did a terrific job; she is such a high-energy competitor,” Johnson-Lynch said. “I think that’s one of the best things about her and she really showed that today.”

Both Kurht and Vondrak said spring matches are especially beneficial for them. They said the experience would help them be more prepared for their upcoming fall season.

“It helps [us] get a little bit more comfortable with the team and just playing wise and just putting everything we do in practice in a real game,” Kurht said. “All three teams we played were really good so it was fun to compete.”