Brian Imbus hypnotizes Iowa State

Sam Abrahms

“When I was a sophomore in high school I saw my first hypnosis show,” hypnotist Brian Imbus said. “I was a skeptic. I didn’t believe in it. I thought it was fake.”

But after a friend of his volunteered to be hypnotized, amazingly, Imbus was hooked. He started practicing and eventually started performing for the first time while in high school. Soon after, he got certified as a stage hypnotist and hypnotherapist.

Imbus then took what he was taught during his training and molded it into his own unique style. Small performances in front of family and friends eventually grew to include fundraisers and other types of events. Today, Imbus performs his hypnosis and mentalist acts at nearly 250 shows per year, all around the world.

According to his brochure, “Brian’s performance is a fast-paced spectacle of laughter and excitement that is appropriate for all types of audiences! He performs at college campuses all across the country and has a reputation of being one of the easiest entertainers to work with. During the performance, Brian will select audience volunteers to become hypnotized on stage.” 

The brochure also said his show is very interactive, as can be expected. 

He is no stranger to Ames, having performed here in the past.

“This past fall I did a couple of shows for [Iowa State’s] WinterFest,” he said. “I incorporated some of the mentalism I’ve learned along the way to give [students] a little taste of it.”

Imbus also wants to reassure folks that hypnosis should not be associated with black magic or warping people’s minds. It’s much simpler than that.

“It’s completely different than what most people have a preconceived notion of,” Imbus said. “You are in total control when you’re in the state of hypnosis. You will not do anything that is against your moral standards.

“It’s just all in good fun and its entertainment. That’s all it is,” he said.

As far as Veishea goes, Imbus is very much a fan and is always excited to come back to perform on campus.

“I always look forward to coming to Veishea and the crowds are always full of energy,” Imbus said. “It’s definitely one of the top shows I look forward to every year.”

Hypnotist Brian Imbus will be performing at 10 p.m. April 19, 2013, and 1 a.m. April 20, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. The cost of the show is free.