Atheist and Agnostic Society participates in national event

Photo: Megan Wolff/Iowa State Daily

Jeff St. Clair, senior in computer engineering, talks with Mitchell Wheaton, sophomore in computer engineering, at “Ask an Atheist” on Friday, April 5. The Atheist and Agnostic Society has a weekly “Ask an Atheist” session from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday at the Free Speech Zone.

Hayley Lindly

On Thursday, students are encouraged to participate in a national holiday which encourages questions and open discussion with people who choose the path of atheism. 

ISU’s Atheist and Agnostic Society takes part in National Ask an Atheist Day on April 18.

Ask an Atheist Day is a national movement run by the Secular Student Alliance. According to their website, they are a nonprofit organization that aims to “organize and empower nonreligious students around the country.”

In order to participate in the national event the Atheist and Agnostic society will have a booth open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the South Atrium in the Memorial Union. Many of the members will wear a “Yes I’m an Atheist. (Ask me anything!)” sticker around campus.

“If people see somebody wearing a sticker in class they should listen to the sticker and ask them anything,” said Jeff St. Clair, president of the Atheist and Agnostic Society and senior in computer science. “Anybody wearing that sticker is more than willing to talk about this stuff.”

The members of the Atheist and Agnostic society are no strangers to receiving questions and engaging in discussion with their peers. Every Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., they congregate outside of the library for their weekly event, Ask an Atheist.

“We really like discussion. Critical thinking is great. If we can get people, religious or not, to just think critically and discuss religious topics, where they might not otherwise, that is fantastic,” St. Clair said.

Ian Norris, junior in aerospace engineering, has stopped by the Ask an Atheist booth before. Norris defines himself as a born-again Christian.

“I like to talk with them about what errors they perceive in the Bible and if there are truly any contradictions in it. Also just to talk about truth, absolute truth, and how it applies to the Christian world view and the Bible itself,” Norris said.

Every Monday night at 7 p.m. in the Memorial Union, the Atheist and Agnostic society meets for a discussion. Anyone is welcome no matter what their beliefs are. Discussion topics range from accepting death as an atheist to improving science education in the United States, St. Clair said.

St. Clair said that while there is commonality with in the group, there are many varying beliefs. The club serves as a safe haven for those who identify themselves as atheists or agnostic. Many of the members identify themselves as both atheist and agnostic.

“We usually use atheist is without belief and agnostic is without knowledge,” St. Clair said.

Members of the group are encouraged to be informed about religion even if the information isn’t compatible to their beliefs.

“We can’t figure out if we are wrong if we only look at things that affirm our beliefs, we have to look at everything,” said Alexandra Mielke, sophomore in psychology. “I wouldn’t say anyone is an informed atheist if they haven’t looked into spiritual matters.”

The Atheist and Agnostic Society encourages everyone to stop by their event on April 18 and ask questions.