Alpha Omicron Pi sorority members stand out with Sisters for Soldiers philanthropy

Photo: Lindsay Kayser/Iowa State Daily

Alpha Omicron Pi will be hosting the philanthropy Sisters for Soldiers on March 1. They will be collecting donations for food and supplies from businesses to make care packages to send to the military men and women overseas.

Ryan Anderson

The Iota Sigma chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi will be hosting its first Sisters for Soldiers philanthropy this semester.

“We will be collecting items to assemble for care packages that we are going to send to troops overseas,” said Sarah Dvorsky, sophomore in event management and co-philanthropy chairwoman for Alpha Omicron Pi sorority.

The Sisters for Soldiers event is part of Alpha Omicron Pi’s Public Relations in a Box program and begins March 1. According to the chapter’s website, the program provides individual chapters with tools to promote events centered on service.

Sisters for Soldiers was launched in November 2011 and is in partnership with Soldiers’ Angels, an organization that supports the needs of thousands of military men and women located around the world.

All of the donations will be sent to Soldiers’ Angels to be delivered to the troops.

“We are going to have boxes all over. If people around the community want to donate, they can bring stuff to the house,” Dvorsky said.

Boxes will be set up at every ISU fraternity and sorority with a chapter facility.

“There will be a table set up at the MU on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting next week,” said Grace Tompkins, sophomore in communication studies and member of Alpha Omicron Pi.

The tables will be set up at the Memorial Union from 10 a.m to 2 p.m. to collect for the philanthropy.

“We are asking for ISU t-shirts and clothing, magazines, books, calendars, non-perishable food items, toiletries, baby wipes,” Dvorsky said. “Basically anything.”

Dvorsky and Tompkins explained that while many of the greek chapters hold food-related philanthropies, the greek community wants to diversify their fundraising methods.

“We are really excited to bring something different to the greek community,” said Michelle Miller, sophomore in event management and member of Alpha Omicron Pi.

Alpha Omicron Pi has had a lot of alumni support, which enabled the chapter to participate in the philanthropy.

“We have a lot of alumni with spouses overseas and we have contacted our alumni about the event,” Dvorsky said. “They are so thrilled we chose to do something like this because they know how much it’s appreciated by the troops.”