Cyclones unsuccessful in qualifying attempts

Photo: Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Brandon Moorman competes in the 60-meter hurdles at the last-chance NCAA Qualifier meet on Saturday, March 2, 2013, at Lied Recreation Center. Moorman finished seventh in the event.

Ryan Berg

The athletes on the ISU track and field team who were unable to qualify for the NCAA Championships got another chance at it Saturday, March 2, but were unsuccessful in their attempts.

The NCAA Qualifier meet was held at the Lied Recreation Athletic Center on Saturday and hosted 30 teams including in-state schools Iowa, Drake and Northern Iowa. 

The athletes that have already qualified for the NCAA Championships did not have to compete and got an extra week of resting before the meet begins March 8, in Fayetteville, Ark.

“The more I race, the more I get in shape, but sometimes when I take a break I come back really good, but we will see Friday,” said distance runner Edward Kemboi.

Since many of the top competitors were not competing in the meet, senior Laishema Hampton tried to take advantage of that. Hampton won the women’s weight throw with a mark of 66-00.25 feet, which was not enough to qualify for the NCAA Championships.

The top 16 athletes in each individual event are invited to the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships along with the top 12 relay teams. Hampton’s best distance on the season currently sits at 18th-best in the country.

Redshirt sophomore Kayla Sanborn set a personal record in the shot put with a mark of 50-00.00 feet, which placed fifth. Redshirt sophomore Maddy Becker placed sixth in the mile run with a time of 5:13.61.

On the men’s side of the NCAA Qualifier, redshirt sophomore Edwin Serem took first in the 3,000-meter run with a time of 8:24.07.

Freshman Jan Jeuschede threw 17.62-meters in the shot put which was the eighth best throw among the men trying to qualify.

“I am dissatisfied how it went today, but I am pleased with my results for the indoor season,” Jeuschede said. “I was happy with both of my 18-meter throws I have had so far this season, but I think I could have gone a litter farther.”

The athletes that did not qualify for the NCAA Championships will get a few weeks off before the outdoor season begins.

The multi-event athletes will begin their outdoor season March 27 and 28 at the Cal Multis in Berkeley, Calif.

The rest of the team will begin their season March 29 and 30 either in Austin, Texas, for the Texas Relays or in Palo Alto, Calif., for the Stanford Invitational.

“We are going to take a little break before we start building up for outdoors again and I feel like I need that because we have had quite a few meets lately,” Jeuschede said. “It will also be great to be outside competing and breathe fresh air.”