Music performances raise money for students in Africa

Photo: Emily Harmon/Iowa State Daily

Horn of Africa: Hope Music & Arts Festival brought together several art and musical presentations at the Great Hall in the Memorial Union on Saturday, Jan. 28. This included DDP, a local hip hop group. DDP performed an original piece, as well as a remix and song from the Black Eyed Peas. The event raised money for Somalia Aid via UNICEF at Iowa State University.  

Nate Bucsko

The music was bumping at Zeke’s on Lincoln Way the evening of Thursday, March 14, 2013, as the club Hope 4 Africa had its second annual Muziki 4 Hope event.

The event, which featured two local bands as well as two other performing acts, had nearly 60 people in attendance.

“We had a pretty good turnout,” said Chad Curtis, junior in supply chain management and fundraising chair for the club. “This is only our second year doing this event, but it is one we would like to continue in the future. I think it has a lot of potential to build and grow.”

Muziki 4 Hope is the third major fundraising event for the club this school year. The other two, Tie Dye 4 Hope and Hunger Out 4 Hope, were during the fall semester.

The money from the event supports the schools that Hope 4 Africa sponsors in Kenya, Africa.

“Our goal for this event was to raise $1,000 out of the $25,000 that we are aiming to raise this year,” Curtis said.

Bull of Arc and The Real Quaid, local student bands, both performed at the event.

“Bull of Arc had a great performance,” said Junior Mwirotsi, member of the club since 2007 and a junior in business. “They engage the crowd very well and just have a lot of talent to say the least.”

In addition to the money earned through ticket sales, merchandise was also sold at the event.

“The merchandise is popular and the money goes to the students we support,” Mwirotsi said.

The event has been in the works for quite some time, and the effort put in by the members of the club, specifically the executive board, was on full display with the talent and activities entertaining the crowd.

“This event is what we have been focusing on this semester,” Curtis said. “We had to schedule the bands and worked with Zeke’s to make sure we had the venue. We also talked to local businesses to get donations for the raffle to draw more people.”

Hope 4 Africa has been one of the fastest-growing clubs at Iowa State since it started on-campus in fall of 2009; its primary goal has remained the same.

“The organization raises money to support quality education in Africa, which we believe will provide long-term solutions to the problems that the continent faces,” Curtis said. “Currently we have four partner schools in Kenya that we are helping.”

All the money raised throughout each school year are given to the schools in Kenya each summer.

“I like to think of it as young people helping young people,” Mwirotsi said. “I joined Hope 4 Africa because I have seen and lived the life over there. I truly understand the perseverance those kids go through every day just to level the playing field. The least we can do is give back the little we can.”