Iowa State Classic comes to an end

Edward Kemboi, redshirt junior, rounds a turn in the men’s 4×400-meter relay on Feb. 9 at Lied Recreation Athletic Center. The men’s ISU 4×400 team finished in fourth place with a time of 3:12.39.

Ryan Berg

After three consecutive days of competition, the Iowa State Classic has come to an end Saturday, Feb.9.

The meet was the last opportunity to compete against other teams before the Cyclones host the Big 12 Championships.

“We said from day one, we are pointing towards the conference meet and do well there,” said coach Corey Ihmels. “The Big 12 is a dog fight and is one of the best conferences in the country in any sport and anytime you line up in the Big 12 you have to be ready.”

The Iowa State Classic hosted conference rivals Kansas and Kansas State, allowing the Cyclones a small preview of competition they will face in the Big 12 Championship.

The Iowa State Classic also had the Cyclones facing off against in-state rivals Drake, Iowa and Northern Iowa, among others.

Matt Harmeyer, sophomore, started out the meet in the Heptathlon placing fifth with a score of 2,348 for the Cyclones.

The Cyclones also had several first-place performances during the Iowa State Classic in track events.

Junior Edward Kemboi continues his season with a win in the men’s 800-meter run with a time of 1:48.19.

Ryan Sander, junior, won the men’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 7.94 and Nick Efkamp, sophomore, won the men’s 200-meter dash with a time of 21.18 placing him second on the ISU all-time list.

“My start wasn’t that good but I had a great finish and I haven’t done that all year so now I’m really confident going into the Big 12 Championship,” Sander said. “I’m hoping I can put it all together and do big things at the Big 12 Championship.”

Senior Ian Warner tied for first with Minnesota’s Sean King in the men’s 60-meter dash with a time of 6.77.

The Cyclones finished fourth in the 4×400-meter relay with a time of 3:12.39. Efkamp, Kemboi, senior Ethan Wilkins and freshman Ivan Tamba ran the event.

In the field events, freshman Jan Jeuschede finished third in the men’s shot put with a throw of 59-02.75 and also improving his personal best.

ISU coach Corey Ihmels talked about the success at the previous meets and the Big 12 Championship.

“The slate is wiped clean and doesn’t matter who has been the fastest, jumped the highest, or thrown the farthest, it all comes down to who’s ready at the end of the day,” Ihmels said.