Women impacting ISU are honored

Ruth Cardenas, senior in child, adult and family services, was nominated for the dedication award at the Women Impacting ISU Calendar Reception. She was rewarded for all the activities she has been involved in, leadership in the organizations and maintaining a stong academic record.

Daniel Bush

Twelve women graced this year’s Women Impacting ISU calendar. The prestigious honor recognized the impact each woman has had on campus.

Each honoree was given a specific word based on the work, achievements and service to Iowa State and put in a calendar. Natasha Croom, assistant professor in the school of education and policy studies, shared her experience of being recognized as an advocate of the ISU campus.

“It was a very humbling experience,” Croom said. “You never know how other people view you and your work and like your contributions and your interactions, so I think it was pretty cool.”

A reception was held to recognize the 12 women — three students and nine faculty and staff members — Wednesday, Jan. 16, in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

“I am very excited to be on the calendar,” said Elizabeth Hoffman, professor of economics and former executive vice president and provost.

Hoffman was recognized for being a visionary.

“I try very hard to see the future and try to understand how to help the university be the best that they can, given the challenges, constraints and opportunities,” Hoffman said.

The Women Impacting ISU Calendar was initiated in 2007 by the Catt Associates student leadership organization.

“I’ve watched it develop over the last several years, and the women who get on it every year are really extraordinary members of the [ISU] community, so I was thrilled and honored when I heard that I was going to be on the calendar,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman and Croom established multiple achievements by getting involved in groups, researching important issues and helping students on campus.

Hoffman worked to help women grow in higher positions. She has also made policies to help faculty succeed in their lives.

“[It’s important in] helping people to see that if we all work together, the university could be so much better and so much more important and so much more as a beacon for the future, solving the great problems of the world,” Hoffman said.

Croom helped establish the Women of Colour Network. The organization was made to provide bonds for minority women on campus. Her research shows the path of progress for African-American women in higher education.

For Croom, it’s not about the recognition.

“It’s more about what the impact [is] with whoever I’m working with,” Croom said.

What this honor means is “that it’s making a difference for the people that it needs to make a difference for,” Croom said.

Croom is pleased to hear that her work outside the classroom is making a difference.

“That’s why I say for the things that I’m engaged in that are outside of the parameters of my job, it’s good to know that they’re making a positive impact where they need to make a positive impact,” Croom said.

Women on the calendar showed that their work, achievements and service was not only present in their job, but outside as well.

“Any women can be nominated: faculty, staff and students,” Hoffman said. “In fact, they try to have a balance of the three groups every year.”

Recognition on the calendar requires only nomination. Anybody can submit a nomination packet to the Catt Center.

“There are huge opportunities for [ISU women] to make a difference addressing the great challenges,” Hoffman said.