Letter to the editor: Confederate flag displayed in dorm room misrepresents Iowa State

Tessa Heeren

I was driving by Maple Hall last night, and I saw a Confederate flag hanging in a window on the third floor. I have to say I was embarrassed to be attending the same university as that resident.

I think it’s safe to say the Confederate flag carries some unflattering connotations, and some viewers might be sensitive to the ideals the flag embodies. I’m all for self expression and everything, but I feel Iowa State is being represented in a bad light by having a symbol of intolerance displayed to the public from a residence hall. I don’t like the idea of members of the Ames community and prospective students seeing that flag and getting a bad impression of Iowa State. I have always thought Iowa State is accepting and encouraging when it comes to diversifying the student population, and I want the public to think so likewise. That student should really consider the impact of the message they are sending and how many other students they are misrepresenting.

I’ve been at Iowa State for four years and I’m not going to let some freshman make me feel ashamed of attending school here. I understand that student has rights, but the implications of that flag are grossly outdated and we happen to share an affiliation with Iowa State, so I feel obligated to get involved. I hope that while the exhibitor of the flag is at Iowa State, they learn some common sense about representing our university’s values and their role as ambassador of the school.