ISU engineer student nationally recognized

Daniel Bush

An ISU engineering student has received national recognition for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers New Face of Engineering College Edition.

Curtis Ullerich, senior in computer engineering, received the recognition on Feb. 22, 2013, according to an Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. news release.

“To be honest, it’s really humbling,” Ullerich said.

Ullerich is currently doing research on Android malware. He is an undergraduate music research assistant “working on interfaces for visualization of data for electronic instruments.”

Ullerich has not only impacted students in high school, but also has impacted ISU students. Bridget Hogan, sophomore in electrical engineering, shared her experience with Ullerich and how he has impacted her.

“I’ve seen him in a lot of different leadership roles and everyone I see him in; he’s an inspiration to me of how I want to be better,” Hogan said.

Ullerich said he has a passion for 4-H and has been involved with the Collegiate 4-H organization on campus working with students to help them learn about technology.

“I am really excited about working with the youth and getting them excited about technology,” Ullerich said.

Ullerich has been performing workshops and working with the Iowa 4-H Tech Team, which is a group of teenagers all over Iowa that gather together to learn more about technology.

Both Ullerich and Hogan are involved in the Tau Beta Sigma, Theta Xi National Honorary Band Sorority.

“He’s the main reason why I’ve gotten involved in a lot of the things at Iowa State that I have, because he’s encouraged me to do them,” Hogan said. “He’s a huge inspiration to me.”

Ullerich is in the Student Advisory Committee of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

“He is very involved and very organized,” said Brittany Oswald, senior in computer engineering. “How does he do all the things he signs up to do?”

Ullerich said that he decided on which things were more important to him and wanted to make it clear that he is putting everything into the groups that he wants to be involved in.

“It’s something I’ve developed since I was a freshman,” Ullerich said. “I’ve gotten a lot better with time management. I’ve also had to learn how to say ‘no’ to things.” 

Ullerich continues to inspire students, both college and high school, through everything he’s involved in.

“He’s one of the most important role models at Iowa State,” Hogan said.