Letter to the editor: Students may have profound effect on election outcomes

I recently read an article in the Daily which suggested that students can have an influence in elections. This took me back through the many years I attended political strategy meetings in Ames at which someone would almost always propose that, “We get the student vote out,” and several old pros would quash the idea, explaining that students just don’t vote.

That is, until Congressman Bill Scherle came to town. He was running against a young fellow, Tom Harkin, whom he had badly defeated in the previous election. Scherle was interviewed by a Daily reporter and said something that infuriated students. I can’t even recall the his comment, but it motivated them and they turned out en masse on election day — especially the residents of Pammel Court, the university’s married student community.

In that election, Tom Harkin defeated Bill Scherle 81,146 to 77,687 — a margin of 3,459 — to earn his first seat in Congress. In the student precincts and those West Ames precincts heavily populated by students, Tom Harkin won by 4,578 votes — about 1,000 more than he carried Iowa with. When students are motivated, they will vote. And nothing should motivate them more than to defeat Rep. Steve King, an embarrassment to Iowa in Congress and to elect the highly competent Christie Vilsack.

And, with a razor thin election predicted for Iowa, ISU students and their compadres at other state universities, colleges and community colleges, could very possibly win Iowa for President Barack Obama and perhaps, the country.

Iowa’s students should: Think of Pell Grants (and note Paul Ryan’s plans for them versus those of Obama). Think of a reasonable and practical plan to repay student loans as outlined by Obama. Think of job-oriented community college programs, as proposed by Obama. Think of an education-friendly administration, as practiced by Obama.