Registering to vote in Ames

Voting booths for Ames City Council voting stand empty on Nov. 3, 2015, in Maple resident hall. There was a minimal student voter turn out.

Emily Berch

When moving to a new city—or even a new apartment in the same city—updating one’s voter registration is an essential part of the moving process. 

Within Ames, moving from West Ames to Campustown can change what City Council ward a person lives in. If a resident forgot to update their voter registration in that situation, they would miss out on voting in the three-way City Council race in November. 

While many student groups such as Student Government’s Civic Engagement Committee and Save the Children Action Network canvas students to ensure they are registered to vote at their current addresses, anyone can take the process into their own hands.

Anyone with an Iowa driver’s license or non-operator’s ID can register online through the Iowa Department of Transportation’s website. Registrants will have to fill out their name, address and ID number—among other information—and will be mailed a voter registration card within two weeks.

Those without an Iowa driver’s license or non-operator’s ID can download a voter registration form from the Iowa Secretary of State’s website. Once filled out, the form must be turned into the Story County auditor’s office in Nevada to complete registration.

Those who are unsure if they are registered can use the “Am I Registered To Vote in Iowa?” form on the Iowa Secretary of State’s website to confirm their registration and find their polling place.

Story County Auditor Lucy Martin manages all regular and special elections within Ames and Story County. Any further questions about voter registration can be answered by visiting the Story County auditor’s website or calling the auditor’s office at 515-382-7210.