Edward Pollak Passed Away

Danielle Ferguson

Edward Pollak, a retired Iowa State Professor of Statistics and Genetics, passed away at Mercy Hospital in Des Moines, Iowa on October 6, 2012.

Pollak was born in New York City on June 29, 1932 to parents Helen and Adolf Pollak. Here, he attended an Agricultural Specialty high school.

After high school, Pollak went on to Cornell University where he graduated with a B.S. in Botany in 1954. He then proceeded to obtain a Masters in Experimental Statistics from North Carolina State in 1956. Driven by scholarly goals/ interests/ motives, Pollak pushed for a PhD in Math Statistics from Columbia in 1964.

Pollak instructed in the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy at Lehigh University from 1963-64. From here, Pollak joined Iowa State University in the Statistics, Zoology and Genetics departments. He frequently taught upper and lower Statistics courses for grad and undergrad students. In addition to teaching, he worked closely with the biology and agricultural sciences with much focus on genetics.

His passion for research and teaching earned him many honors as well as reaching full Professor in 1972 and elected a Fellow of American Statistics Association in 1974. He retired as an Emeritus Professor in the Statistics, Zoology, and Genetics departments.

“This is very prestigious,” said Kenneth Koehler, Department Chair of Statistics Department. “[The award is] based on research and contribution to communication and science.”

Pollak also supervised the work of five PhD students and fifteen M.S. students. He will be remembered for his interest in researching Mathematical, Population and Quantitative Genetics. He focused on how the genetic composition of populations is influenced by selection, mutation, migration, etc.

“He looked at genes and traced genetic code to ancestors. He was very dedicated,” Koehler said. “Even after he retired, he would come into the office every day and continue his research.”

Although Koehler didn’t know Pollak very well, he still appreciated his personality and commitment.

“He was sort of quiet, but had a great sense of humor,” he added.

Edward Pollak never married, but stayed active in music and politics, serving on the Board of Town and Gown.

Jeanette La Grange, Secretary/ Receptionist for the Department of Statistics said, “It’s a shame. He was such a sweet man.”

A celebration of Edward Pollak will be on Saturday, December 15 at 1:00 pm at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Ames.