How to vote on election day

Photo illustration: Megan Wolff/Iowa State Daily

Students can still register to vote the day of the election at the polling locations.

Dan Mackenzie

As a student, it can be easy to procrastinate. 

But when it comes to something as infrequent as a presidential election, students can often miss the opportunity completely. 

This may be even more true if it is their first election.

Luckily for those who have been putting off performing their civic duty, it is not too late. 

Iowa is one of only a handful of states allowing voters to register at the polls on Election Day. 

To do so, students need to show proof of their identity and residence in addition to meeting the other voter requirements.

Basic requirements include being 18 years or older, a U.S. citizen and not being a convicted felon.

For proof of identity, students will need an officially issued picture identification. 

The proof can be a driver’s license or nondriver ID card for any state, an ISUCard, military ID or passport.

If a current residence is not reflected on a form of identification, there are several other ways to prove residence. 

Students who live off-campus can present a copy of a lease or a current utility bill. 

A paper copy of a U-Bill is also acceptable for all students. A bank statement, paycheck or other official government document is also acceptable.

Lastly, students should know where to vote. 

Twenty polling places will be set up around Ames and Iowa State’s campus, and each voter is assigned a specific location based on where they live. 

Voters may only attend their assigned place on Election Day.

The Office of the Iowa Secretary of State has a search function on its website indicating where individuals can vote. 

Students may visit the website, sos.iowa.gov, and follow the link for “find my polling place” on the front page.