Iowa State’s E-Club takes Collegiate Entrepreneur’s award

Kari Paige

Of the more than 245 chapters eligible, Iowa State took home the Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization National Award, E-Diffusion, at the organization’s 2012 national conference.

“This award is given to one of our over 245 chapters for their exceptional efforts in getting students involved in entrepreneurship from all colleges of the university, specifically, outside of the business school,” said Michael Luchies, national growth and programs Manager for the Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization.

This year, the ISU Entrepreneur Club applied for awards it had never tried before, one being the campus E-Diffusion award. Alexandre Andrade, senior in management and international business, explained the award easily demonstrated entrepreneurship as an interdisciplinary curriculum at Iowa State.

The ISU E-Club had not entered for any of the awards for a few years, even though the Iowa State previously has won best chapter website, best adviser and now the campus E-Diffusion Award.

“Iowa State has had an impressive CEO chapter for years,” Luchies said. “The chapter has been able to reach out to all areas of study at the university, and they were recognized be winning the 2012 E-Diffusion Award during the conference. The leadership team of the club has majors from all six colleges at the university, which we find very impressive, as entrepreneurship is a great compliment to any area of study.”

After attending the convention for the fourth year, and being one of the two people that applied for the award, Andrade was chosen to accept the award.

On the subject, Andrade said: “It was no big deal in accepting the award, and I was proud that Iowa State won first place. It proved that all my hard work I put into the club paid off, and we were recognized at a national level.” 

Andrade explained his recent campus involvement on the discussion board for the Innovation Pitch Competition was also part of the decision of having him accept the award.

Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization is a national organization, and at Iowa State, all majors are welcome to join the E-Club.

The idea is to bring together students of all ages with different backgrounds and majors, but at the same time all with like minded goals of networking and learning about entrepreneurship.

Since Iowa State has entrepreneurship as an interdisciplinary study, any student of any college can add it as a minor. A record number of 28 E-Club members joined in the conference activities this year out of more than 60 members due to the efforts of the club fundraising.

Those 28 members were part of the nearly 1,400 students, faculty and entrepreneurs who attended from more than 125 of the chapters.

“I love going to [the national convention], and the main reason is for the people I get to meet,” Andrade said. “It’s mainly all about networking and sharing your ideas with others. By talking to others about your ideas for your business, people open up and give you advice. In fact you get so many business cards, you might need a second bag to carry them all in. Throughout each conference things have improved every year.”

Both the National Elevator Pitch Competition and the CEO National Chapter Awards occurred during the conference.

Andrade said: “One of my favorite sessions to watch is the Elevator Pitch Competition. That’s when students from all over come to share their business ideas or running business to a panel of judges with just a 90 second pitch. Depending on who has the best idea and pitch, wins a lump of cash to help them get started.”

Also featured at the convention were speakers such as Jeff Hoffman, co-founder of Priceline.com; Chris Stevens, co-founder of Keurig; Jack DeBoer, founder of the Extended Stay Hotel and Founder of Candlewood Suites; and Mike DeLazzer, founder of RedBox.

“Over 80 speakers covered topics on entrepreneurship ranging from business ethics, to commonly make mistakes in startup companies companies,” Luchies said.