‘Thinking like scientists’ beneficial to all students

Danielle Ferguson

Suzanne Hendrich, university professor and president of the ISU Faculty Senate, is a strong supporter of engaging students’ minds and challenging the way they think. In her Sigma Xi lecture, “Learning to Think Like Scientists: Does Our Future Depend On it?” Hendrich argues why the process of “Thinking Like Scientists” is so important.

“What difference does thinking like scientists make for us in terms of how we respond to things that are happening in the world?” Hendrich asked the audience.

Hendrich began with relating scientific thinking to her own life: her new-found position as Faculty Senate president.

“[I wanted to] think about ways in which science might be applied to our community as faculty members and citizens of campus. What does a thriving community look like?” Hendrich said. “Is there science that can be brought to bear in terms of thinking about how we might organize ourselves and help ourselves to be able to function better as students and faculty members?”

Thinking like a scientist, Hendrich said, is a process: asking questions, defining the problem scientifically, seek evidence, make decisions based off evidence, and revising and reflect.

With this process in mind, Hendrich demonstrated her point in engaging the audience with three different learning exercises. The crowd looked at two examples of student evaluations (one who grasped the process and one who didn’t), and did a thought experiment of pretending to be a professor in a sticky situation.

Hendrich’s next point was focused toward the students’ application of thinking like scientists.

Esther Haugabrocks, graduate student in toxicology, said she needs to work on thinking like a scientist.

“We all have to do some kind of scientific thinking because we do research. When I hit a rut, however; I defining yourself as a scientist includes how you move past that rut, especially by applying scientific thinking,” Haugabrocks said. “I’m still trying to move past when hitting something I didn’t really expect to encounter.”

Hendrich believes thinking like a scientists will enrich the lives of students at Iowa State.

“Students seem to be really eager. If you give them a chance to reflect on their thinking: to practice it. Many seem to see these connections in their lives given the opportunity to think this way,” Hendrich said. “They enjoy being asked to communicate their thoughts.”

Hendrich ended with proof of her desire to improve the quality of education for ISU students.

“I’m immersed in thinking about the future of the university. How does thinking like scientists affect us? Figuring out how to maintain those connections and bonds with each other can greater serve the society,” Hendrich said. “We want you students to feel what you are doing here is the most cool, awesome thing ever.”