Dunkin’ Donuts franchise expands to Ames

Dunkin Donuts Comes to Ames

Tracy Robinson

Students needing a caffeine jolt or a sweet treat to get through their day will soon have a new place to get it. 

Dunkin’ Donuts will be opening a new store at 2650 Lincoln Way.

Every college student has experienced the late-night cramming for an exam or an early morning lecture that could put anyone to sleep. 

The only thing that keeps students going is simple caffeine.

From pop to coffee, students have found ways to keep themselves going on no matter how little sleep they got the night before. Dunkin’ Donuts is planning on helping students conquer the task of staying awake.

“Dunkin’ Donuts has applied for the building and is planning on beginning their remodeling sometime in the next few weeks,” said Shana Perkins, employee of Ames Economic Development Commission.

Taco Bell, the previous owner of the building on Lincoln Way, relocated to Duff Avenue last year after of a dispute with a nearby church, Collegiate United Methodist Church-Wesley Foundation Annex, over a parking lot. 

However, employees of Dunkin’ Donuts seem optimistic everything will work out between the church and the new business.

“The Ames community has really welcomed our business, and we can’t wait to get started,” said Josh Newlin, corporate representative Dunkin’ Donuts. “We have experienced a lot of success from our stores in college towns right off campus because we are convenient for the students that live off of campus.”

The new store owners for the franchise are Jeff and Lori Kelderman from Johnson, Iowa.

The pair is planning on opening the store during

the spring semester of 2013. They both believe their store will thrive with the campus and Ames community.

The Dunkin’ Donuts franchise was started in Quincy, Mass. by William Rosenberg. 

Now headquartered in Canton, Mass., it has spread to more than 10,000 locations in 32 countries worldwide.

The franchise is continuing to grow as it plans the openings of eight other stores in Iowa by the end of 2016. These stores include locations in Des Moines, Marshalltown and Ankeny.

The company hopes to be able to expand even more in Iowa in the years to come to bring its store count up to 30.