Social media use requires responsibilty

Illustration: Bolun Li/Iowa State Daily

Social media can provide opportunities for job-seekers, but if accounts are not used appropriately, such sites can also prove to be pitfalls.

Meryl Onnen

In this day and age, it is common for many people to use social media sites like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Students can use these resources to help them find internships or job opportunities once they are done with college and to connect with businesses and organizations.

Tammy Stegman, program coordinator for business career services, believes social media is useful to students looking for jobs and internships if they know how to use it.

“Social media is a hidden source right now, but it can provide you with good results,” Stegman said.

Websites like LinkedIn are specifically meant for finding job opportunities based on the types of qualifications a person has on their profile, Stegman said.

Daniela Dimitrova, associate professor of journalism and mass communication who specializes in new and electronic media, agrees.

“I strongly encourage students to get a LinkedIn account; it is a great way to create a professional face to the outside world by citing links to portfolios and having organizations or professors sponsor you,” Dimitrova siad.

Stegman said that professionally-oriented social media offers another tool for students career searches.

“It is a way to network and connect with companies you are interested in by following or connecting with them,” Stegman said. “Companies will post job openings on LinkedIn along with the qualifications needed, which means someone with this account may see extra things that are happening.”

On the other hand, purely social media websites, such as Facebook, might have more downfalls than benefits.

“More employers will look for your Facebook now when considering you for a job,” Dimitrova said. “Make sure you don’t post anything negative to a professional or make sure your settings are all on private.”

When asked what you should also do to make your profiles presentable, both Dimitrova and Stegman agree that a certain amount of regular maintenance is necessary.

“Keep things current. Have a well-written self summary; indicate skills, and most importantly, make sure of no typos,” Stegman said.

Dimitrova seems to agree to be careful about what is posted online.

“Just take precautions, seem professional, and, most important, have good grammar,” Dimitrova said.

As social media grows as a source of finding jobs, Dimitrova adds to also try and get the personal connection.

“Social media is good to explore, but don’t make it your only channel,” Dimitrova said. “Networking in person is always better.”