‘Family Guy’ creator Seth MacFarlane speaks at M-Shop, encourages voting

Actor Seth MacFarlane speaks to promote President Obama to a large crowd Saturday, Oct. 20 at the M-Shop as part of Campus Takeover. 

Cole.Komma

Yet another celebrity stopped at Iowa State’s campus as part of President Barack Obama’s #CampusTakeover campaign.

Seth MacFarlane, creator of “Family Guy,” to speak to people in the Maintenance Shop on Saturday, Oct. 20.

“The rich don’t need any help right now,” MacFarlane said. “I live comfortably.”

Some students waited in line from one to two and a half hours to listen to MacFarlane speak.

“I went to Bruce Springsteen and Justin Long, and I’m just taking advantage of what Ames has to offer [in these political times],” said Jacqueline Howell, senior in advertising, who waited outside the M-Shop door with her two friends.

Many people may wonder why MacFarlane did not speak in a larger venue, such as the Great Hall or the Sun Room.

“I think [MacFarlane] is known for having exclusive, more private shows,” Howell said. “And some students probably came here thinking he was going to stand up there and tell jokes, but he has come to speak about political issues.”

Elizabeth Purchia, press secretary for Obama for America Iowa, said Macfarlane thrives in locations like the M-shop.

“He loves these formats,” Purchia said. “He feeds off of the energy of the crowd … [and] this is a bigger crowd than we expected.” 

Although the venue was small, Purchia said it was a “great location.” Purchia also said Macfarlane “provides an greater reach” to students that otherwise wouldn’t be interested in politics. 

Spirits were high, and laughter was in ample supply as MacFarlane addressed, during his 30-minute speech, issues from global warming to  women’s rights to economic policy

“Trickle down economics … is outdated,” MacFarlane said. “In the ’50s, if you owned a hardware store or a grocery store, you were one of the rich people in your town, but times have changed.”

Similar to other celebrities who have visited Iowa State this election season, such as actor Justin Long and musician Bruce Springsteen, MacFarlane emphasized the importance of voting and voting early.

“Iowa is going to be one of the states to decide this election,” said MacFarlane.