Editorial: Take advantage of Homecoming festivities to participate in community

Homecoming is in the air. The leaves are almost done changing and falling, the weather is getting less bipolar and moving toward a steady pattern of cold and crisp, and the energy of Cyclone Nation is beginning to buzz with all the excitement homecoming brings to our campus. But homecoming week is much more than cheap food on campus, a football game and lots of booze; it’s a chance for students to partake in activities unique to Iowa State that they may not get another chance to partake in.

Our campus practically busts at the seams during homecoming week with all the activities, events, freebies and excitement that is offered to students. Clubs, organizations and the greek community do an excellent job of being involved and very prominent on campus during homecoming week. But their involvement also brings a misconception to a lot of students that you have to be president of a club or a member of a greek house to be a part of all those fun, and sometimes outrageous, events.

That statement is not only false, but it can be detrimental to engaging in the full ISU experience to those who choose to believe it.

Fellow Cyclones, we encourage you to step out of your box this homecoming week. Open your eyes, listen up and participate in the shenanigans taking place. Campus will be much more relaxed this week, and take advantage of it.

Forget about your normal routine of laying low and attempting to be studious. Instead, wander into campus and watch a Yell Like Hell competition, take a tour around the greek houses and check out the lawn displays, get a team together and compete in one of the many competitive tournaments, buy one of those corny buttons for $5 and get really cheap lunch on Central Campus every day.

If competition and good food isn’t your thing, then give back to the community this week. Homecoming is a great time to represent your Cyclone pride all over the place, and that includes showing it through community service. Volunteer at a local business, help with cleanup at Jack Trice after the game; be a positive reflection of the school you stand for wherever you can.

Have fun this week, let your guard down, and feel like a kid again. Homecoming week is about Iowa State pride and enjoying the university we have the privilege of attending. Don’t let this week slip by without participating in these fun activities that only come once a year. Make the most of your experience at Iowa State, don’t just sit around and let it all pass you by.