Jacobo Morales to speak at PRSA Cultural Night

Frances Myers

There will be a lecture Saturday, Sept. 15, just south of the Campanile on Central Campus.

The lecture, “An Evening with Jacobo Morales,” will be at 7 p.m. There is no cost to attend.

Jacobo Morales will be presenting as part of the Puerto Rican Student Association’s Cultural Night. This will run from 7 to 9 p.m. and will include traditional food and dancing. Morales is considered one of the most influential film directors in Puerto Rico’s history.

He has had an eclectic career as a playwright, actor, filmmaker and writer. His first film, made in 1980, “Dios los Cria,” was selected as one of the 25 most significant films of Latin America. His third film, “Lo que le paso a Santiago,” was nominated in 1989 for an Oscar in the category of best foreign film. Hollywood credits of Morales’ include Woody Allen’s “Bananas,” as well as “Up the Sandbox,” with Barbra Streisand.

The Puerto Rican Student Association is a multicultural student organization on Iowa State’s campus. According to the association’s website on the ISU clubs and organizations page, there are approximately 41 members. Their purpose and goals, according to their constitution, is to “foment and present a portion of the Puerto Rican culture to the students of Iowa State University by performing activities or discussions. Also to create union between the Puerto Rican Students at Iowa State University by creating a familiar atmosphere in which they may socialize. “

In the case that rain should occur, the lecture will be relocated to the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union.