Memorial service for Barbara Mack to be Friday, Sept. 7

Frances Myers

At 2 p.m. on Central Campus, there will be a memorial service in honor of Barbara Mack, just north of the Campanile.

Mack, associate professor and assistant director of Iowa State’s Greenlee School of Journalism, died Aug. 23, after a sudden illness at the age of 59.

Mack graduated from Iowa State in 1974 and then attended Drake University, graduating with a law degree in 1977. Mack came back to Iowa State in 1986, joining the faculty of the Greenlee School of Journalism.

In 1975, Mack helped establish the Iowa Freedom of Information Council, an organization that advocates openness in government statewide.

Mack left the Greenlee School for a brief time in 1991 to work as assistant to ISU President Martin Jischke, returning to Greenlee again in 1994.

According to the Des Moines Register: “She held the title of assistant director and associate professor in the Greenlee School and was on phased retirement, with this semester being the last of her career. She has served as an Iowa State Daily board member since 1999. She was among the first grouping of ISU faculty to win the college Master Teacher Award in 2000. In 1995, she had won the college Outstanding Introductory Teaching Award. Last year she won the ISU Alumni Association top award for Superior Service.” 

Members of the ISU community, alumni and friends are welcome to share thoughts and memories at the reception following the 2:30 p.m. program.

Students, alumni and faculty are encouraged to write memories of Mack in a “Blue Book,” available in 101 Hamilton Hall or at the memorial. These will be collected and combined to create a Blue Book of Memories to share with family and friends.

Rest in peace, B-Mack.