Letter to the editor: Register to vote September 25

Jacob Thomas

It has been said you cannot complain about the circumstances set forth by the government unless you have voted in the elections that put government officials in office. So how do you get the privilege to complain about the government’s poor decision-making?

You vote.

But as any good ol’ American knows, in order to vote, you must first register to vote. Yes, register. Give your name to the government to be put on lists seen by all government agencies, run the risk of serving jury duty, but also have the opportunity that is not afforded to everyone on God’s green Earth: to vote in a free, democratic election. Registering to vote allows a person to have a vote that is equal to their neighbor’s vote; a vote where no matter what the person’s current income, race, religion, homeowner status, gender, beliefs or political party is, it carries equal weight with any other vote.

As an ISU student, staff or faculty member, registering to vote has been made extremely convenient. On Tuesday, Sept. 25, students who are part of the Iowa State University Ambassadors organization have partnered with the Women’s League of Voters to help register anyone and everyone who walks across the Iowa State University campus on Tuesday.

From the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., voter registration tables will be set up in three convenient locations with all the necessary materials to register for voting in the state of Iowa. Look for tables in the Memorial Union, Central Campus and the Free Speech Zone to get registered and apply for an absentee ballot.

Registering to vote is quick and easy, and anyone who is a citizen of the United States is eligible.

It is always important to remember that it is a duty afforded to us as citizens of the Free World, and it is often taken for granted when so many others dream of the day when they will have a free democratic vote for their nation’s leaders. If you want to be able to make a difference, complain about your government or bask in the glory of your elected officials, make sure to get out and register to vote on Tuesday to earn those privileges.

Plus, I heard jury duty pays for your lunch.