ISU intramurals bring back popular summer sports

Adam Ring

Intramural sports at Iowa State are a tradition unlike any other.

Students have a large variety of options when it comes to participating in intramurals. There is the popular flag football as well as broomball, among many other sports offered. Starting this fall, students will have options for intramural sports that have not been offered in the past.

Intramural Coordinator Nathan Pick said many new intramural sports will be offered this semester. Pickleball will be offered for the first time since 2005.

Pickleball is a “game that is played on a badminton court with the net lowered to 34 inches at the center,” according to the USA Pickleball Association website.

Pick described pickleball as “smaller tennis, bigger ping pong.” Pickleball in ISU intramurals is played in doubles. Registration for pickleball begins Oct. 22 and closes Oct. 31.

“The addition of State Gym allows enough room for the return of pickleball,” Pick said.

Battleship H2O will be offered for the first time during the school year. Battleship H2O was offered this summer and was very popular with the students who participated, therefore the game was brought back.

The game consists of three team members, a canoe and buckets in a pool. The objective is for the team members to use their buckets to fill their opponent’s canoe with water, thus sinking their battleship. Registration for Battleship H2O begins Oct. 15 and closes Oct. 24.

Desire Irakoze, freshman in pre-architecture, played Battleship H20 during the summer.

“My older brother played it during Veishea, and he recommended I play it,” Irakoze said. “It was amazing. I loved it. Can’t wait to do it again.”

Irakoze’s team finished second overall in the summer competition, and he said playing Battleship H20 is a great way to meet people and to get a good workout. Irakoze said games last until the last man is standing.

“You’d be surprised; your arms get so tired so quickly,” Irakoze said. “It’s different from the traditional sports.” 

Pick said participating in intramurals offers students an alternative from classwork and a break from studying. Pick also said intramurals are driven to get students to move around and stay in shape.

“A lot of freshmen live in the dorms, and see the older students with their [intramural champion] shirts and stories of how they won them,” Pick said.