New Financial Counseling Clinic director helps combat student debt

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Fox financial aid counseling

Justin Mattingly

Jonathan Fox reigns as new director for the Financial Counseling Clinic and doubles as a professor in the College of Human Sciences.

“We chose him in order to grow our family finance major, to expand financial research and to serve the students,” said Doug Borkowski, previous head of the clinic and current lecturer of human development and family studies.

Borkowski said there are not many students around campus who are aware of the counseling clinic, or the family finance, housing and policy major. He went on to explain Fox is playing a huge role in changing that unfamiliarity.

“The ‘perfect storm’ is working in our favor,” Fox said. “Debt levels are high and so is student stress, pushing the need for organizations such as Iowa State’s Financial Counseling Clinic. If you’re stressed out about your finances, here’s what you should do — call the clinic and make an appointment. That’s the first step.”

Fox not only plans to heavily research and combat the impact of student financial debt on psychological well-being but also desires to educate the student body on the massive benefits of obtaining a major in family finance, housing and policy, and utilizing the counseling clinic.

“There is a lot for us to build on and a lot for ISU students to build on here,” he said. “The major itself is tied to so many jobs these days, jobs with high satisfaction and high compensation.”

In fact, the Jobs Rated Almanac places financial planning as the No. 1 career in the United States based on its environment, income, outlook, physical demands, security and stress.

Fox added to this by stating that the family finance, housing and policy major works very well with many others on campus.

“If you like numbers and people check it out, ISU’s family finance, housing and policy program is the perfect place for students to blend the analytical with the personal in a rewarding career.”

Fox earned his masters and doctorate from the University of Maryland and recently served as the interim chairman for Ohio State’s consumer science department before becoming a Cyclone this fall.

Having just started, Fox is eager to begin his new role at Iowa State.

“I am ready to really get people excited about what is happening around the clinic and family finance, housing and policy major, and urge all students to take advantage of the amazing resources we have to offer.”