Iowa State Daily’s editor-in-chief encourages students to be involved on campus

Katherine Klingseis

Dear new ISU students,

You made it to campus — congratulations. You are probably neck-deep in your personal belongings, trying to make your dorm your “home.” So, I’ll make this letter short and let you finish 1) this section and 2) unpacking.

To begin, I know you’ve heard “Enjoy your adventure” about a hundred times since applying to Iowa State, and you may be getting sick of hearing it. However, you really do need to enjoy your time at Iowa State — you’ll only have a few years here, unless you’re a lifelong student or come back as a faculty or staff member.

Regardless of how long you’ll be on campus, you need to participate in events at Iowa State. Several student committees, like Student Union Board, Homecoming Committee, Dance Marathon, Veishea committee, etc., plan events for students to participate in. These events serve as great opportunities to have fun and meet new people.

There are also hundreds of student organizations on campus. These also help students meet new people and have fun. If you can’t find a club you want to join on campus, you can create your own, attracting people who share your interests.

Additionally, I encourage you to become involved with the Iowa State Daily. Don’t feel like you must be a journalism major to work for the Daily. We are a very inclusive organization — we have had people from every college.

I also advise you to read our print and tablet publications, visit our website and download our mobile application. If you want to be in-the-know about what’s going on at Iowa State, look to the Daily. We aim to serve the ISU community. We aim to serve you.

If you have any comments, questions or concerns, please email me at [email protected].

I would love to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Katherine Klingseis

Editor-in-chief of the Iowa State Daily