Cyclone soccer’s familiar roster kicks off season with confidence

Sophomore midfielder Erin Green chases the ball down against Texas Tech on Friday, Oct. 21, at the ISU Soccer Complex. Iowa State won the game 1-0 in the second overtime period. Green has one goal on the season

Dan Cole

The ISU soccer team begins this season with optimism. The Cyclones finished last season by winning three of their last four games en route to a 9-9-1 (2-6 Big 12) record.

The Cyclones return a number of key players from last season, including their top two scorers, juniors Jennifer Dominguez and Brittany Morgan. The duo combined for 21 points last season.

Iowa State’s junior class is going to play a key role in the team’s success this season. Junior midfielders Emily Goldstein and Erin Green were important factors last season as well, playing in all 19 games and combining for 10 points.

“They’re definitely a big part of what we’re doing; they’re the core of the group,” said ISU coach Wendy Dillinger of the junior class. “They’ve been playing together now for two years and the chemistry is good.”

The only major loss the Cyclones suffered during the offseason was Mary Kate McLaughlin, who graduated after last season. McLaughlin has been the team’s leader the last three years, and her departure has opened the door for new leaders to emerge.

“There’s five captains this year, so we’re all going to have to step up,” said senior defender Megan Longobardi. “Those are big shoes to fill. We’re excited to have that opportunity, though, and we’re looking to lead this team and to try and help push everyone in the right direction.”

Taking McLaughlin’s spot this season will be junior Theresa Kucera, who started just one game last season. Coaches and players are pleased with how Kucera has stepped into her new role so far this season.

Junior goalkeeper Maddie Jobe was the team’s number one keeper last season (nine starts), but sophomore Andrea Swanson was not far behind (seven starts). 

Somewhat of a position battle is underway early this season. Dillinger said the job is Jobe’s to lose right now, but that Swanson is right on her tail.

“I think Andrea has definitely improved, which is pushing Maddie to improve and step up her game,” Dillinger said. “I’d be comfortable with either one of them in the net for us.”

The Cyclones are expecting more scoring opportunities this season. The lineup boasts a number of goal scorers, both returning and incoming. 

The aforementioned Dominguez and Morgan are expected to net goals with some consistency. Sophomore Kaeli Flaska scored four goals last season and is expected to supply offense again this year.

6-foot-1 freshman Haley Albert is the tallest player on the Cyclones’ roster. The team plans to use her in front of the net on corner kicks and set pieces, and is excited about the vertical dimension that her height could supply.

“We can all score from different angles,” Goldstein said. “It’s going to give us that edge that we need this year, now that we’re a lot more confident, knowing that we can score those goals.”

The Cyclones will play 10 nonconference games before kicking off the Big 12 schedule against Texas on Sep. 21.