ISU bucket List

Students sprint up the stairs to Jack Trice Stadium on the morning of Saturday, Sept. 10. Diehard fans lined up as early as Friday morning, hoping to score front-row seats for the game against Iowa.

Ashley Hunt

Your time at Iowa State is going to fly by. One minute, you’re a freshmen starting your first week as a college student and the next thing you know you’re a senior taking your last final exam.

College is, more than likely, going to be some of the best years of your life, so you’re going to want to take advantage of it. Here are some suggestions on how to make the best out of your time here at Iowa State.

1. Go Campaniling.

The tradition says one is not a true Iowa Stater until he or she has kissed someone under the campanile at midnight. Tradition also brings a group of couples to the campanile on midnight during the Friday of Homecoming week.

2. Attend a Veishea event.

Veishea is known nationwide for being a weeklong party for ISU students, faculty, alumni and the Ames community. Students from colleges around Iowa come during the weekend to participate in the weekend festivities as well. However, Veishea is more than just a time for college students to drink and party. There are several events throughout the week that provide a fun and safe alternative. Events such as Taste of Veishea, the International Food Fair, the Live @ Veishea concerts and the Veishea parade offer a place to get food, experience culture, listen to music and learn more about Iowa State. The Live @ Veishea concerts usually get some pretty big names, and tickets are pretty cheap, so that’s something you won’t want to miss.

3. Join a student organization.

Iowa State has approximately 800 student organizations to choose from. Get involved during your time here — not only as a resume builder, but as a way to really enjoy yourself at Iowa State. There is something for everyone, from sports to academics to clubs for your major. Not only is joining a student organization a way to get involved and have fun, it’s a great way to meet people and network professionally.

4. Score an internship you love.

Internships are key in landing a job after you graduate. Employers don’t just want to see that you graduated but that you also have experience in your field. Not only will you be thankful you got an internship when you’re job searching after graduation, you’ll have fun doing it too. You can apply for internships out of state or even overseas, so your summer internship can be more than just that. You can spend an awesome summer in New York or California, and if you’re lucky, you can earn some money too.

5. Live in the dorms for a year.

Most freshmen move into the dorms upon coming to Iowa State, but there are those freshmen who think they won’t enjoy it. However, speaking from experience, living in the dorms is a blast. You’ll meet other freshmen who are going through the same things you are, and you won’t even have time to be homesick. There are always people to meet and things going on in rooms next door or the floor dens. There are quiet hours for when you need to study. 

The rooms might be small, but college is the only time you are going to have to experience this kind of living. 

Take advantage of it and you might find yourself missing the dorms after you move out. I made some of my best friends in the dorms, and some of my best memories are from my freshman year in Larch Hall.

6. Get your picture taken with Cy. 

You’re an Iowa State student, a Cyclone. Show your school pride at a sporting event and get your picture with Cy the mascot. Cy was voted the “Most Dominant College Mascot on Earth” by fans on CBS Sports in 2007. In 2009, Cy was the winner of the Capital One Mascot competition. Why wouldn’t you want a picture with one of the country’s famous mascots?

7. Ride the CyRide Moonlight Express.

Better known as the “Drunk Bus” among ISU students, the Moonlight Express runs after the regularly scheduled CyRide lines quit for the night on Fridays and Saturdays. Students hop on the bus to get a safe ride home after a night on Welch Avenue or a party in Campustown. The rides are always entertaining and often packed with students. 

If you get on a packed bus, you may be lucky enough to hear an ISU chant or a take part in a sing-along of the old favorite, “Sweet Caroline.”

8. Eat in every dining center on campus.

Iowa State has a variety of dining centers that all specialize in different things. Conversations has a coffee bar and bakery. Seasons Marketplace has six specialty stations to choose from. The Union Drive Marketplace, or the UDCC, is a favorite among students, and is always packed. 

Besides the three dining centers, the Hub, the Memorial Union and the Knapp-Storms Dining Center all provide great places to find a good meal.

9. Study abroad.

Sure, it sounds scary. It’s a great opportunity to experience another culture in a way you won’t get to after college. You can always board a plane and travel after you graduate, but you won’t be able to take a class and get that experience. 

Iowa State has tons of study abroad options and you can basically go wherever you want. Studying abroad is a great way to meet people from Iowa State, as well as people from other cultures. The time will fly by and you’ll come back with a once-in-a-lifetime experience that you will never forget.

10. Go to an Iowa v. Iowa State football game.

Each year the Cyclones battle the Hawkeyes to take possession of the Cy-Hawk trophy. Fans from all across Iowa come to cheer on their respective teams. Last year, the Cyclones won the game in triple overtime, making Iowa a Cyclone state once again. Be sure to attend a game and cheer on the Cyclones to another victory.