Ideal apps for the college lifestyle

Levi Castle

Almost everyone owns (or at least knows someone who owns) a device capable of downloading apps.

Whether it’s a Samsung Galaxy Tab with Android or an iPad with iOS, both Google Play and the App Store have numerous applications that make college life a whole lot easier.

Because of where you’ll be attending this fall, it seems only fair to start with apps particularly meant for ISU students. That’s where an excellent app called ISU CoE comes in.

This app is by far the most useful one an Iowa State student could ask for. Featuring news, events, athletics, admissions and directory information, this free app has everything you need to stay up to date on your phone or tablet.

And that’s not even the best part: The app also sports a fully-functional GPS system (if your device supports it) that features a map much like the default navigation one on most devices. However, this one takes it a step further by labeling each individual building on campus.

Locations can also be searched within the map too, with a drop-pin showing exactly where you need to go.

The app also features an ultra-helpful CyRide section, where daily route pickups and route maps can be viewed at any time. They’re constantly updated, so you’ll know if the bus is coming before you even leave your room.

While it might sound odd, perhaps the coolest section of the app is the Laundry component. In this part of the app, washer and dryer statuses from all over campus can be viewed right on your device, eliminating the chance that you enter the laundromat only to find that every machine is occupied. The app even tells you how much time is left on each machine.

At this time, the ISU CoE app is only available for Apple products.

With the major app out of the way, there are a few others that are meant more for specific purposes.

For example, Wolfram Alpha (for Apple and Android) is a must-have for those in mathematics courses. This app will literally solve your toughest equations for you, and while it shouldn’t be used to cheat, it’s incredible help for a struggling math student that can’t find time to talk to the professor.

With the largest keyboard of icons you’ve probably ever seen, any math problem can be entered, where Wolfram will solve it instantly and even show you step-by-step how to get to the final answer.

It’s an incredibly intelligent system that has helped loads of students. The app also easily converts any unit of measurement you throw at it, making it a worthwhile tool for engineering students, too.

Don’t forget to check out the slick new Iowa State Daily apps for both Android and iOS, which deliver up-to-date news right to your mobile devices. These apps are streamlined for whatever gear you may be using and offer an alternative to visiting the website on your mobile browser.