Iowa State announces new dean of students

Frances Myers

Iowa State has announced the new dean of students will be Pamela Anthony. 

Anthony is currently the assistant dean of students at Georgia State University in Atlanta. She has served in this position since August of 2003. Before that, she served as director of student activities at Spelman College, also in Atlanta. 

She has also held two positions at University of Alaska Fairbanks. One position was as coordinator of multicultural affairs and the other was as area coordinator of residence life. 

Anthony holds a bachelor’s degree in speech pathology from James Madison University. She also holds a master’s in student personnel in higher education from the University of Georgia and a doctorate in educational policy studies from Georgia State University. 

Anthony has extensive experience in student crisis intervention, judicial affairs, student activities and greek life. She is also an active member of Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education, also referred to as NASPA.  

Anthony will begin her position at Iowa State on Aug. 1. 

Dione Somerville, the previous dean of students, left Iowa State in June, 2011, to become vice president for student affairs at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania. James Dorsett, director of international students and scholars, served as interim dean of students during the 2011-12 academic year.