Taste of Veishea offers unique tastes for attendees

Ashley Hunt

The Taste of Veishea brings in vendors from both near and far. Vendors from near Ames, such as Campbell’s Concessions out of Des Moines, join those who have farther to travel, such as Uncle Zorba’s Greek Food out of Chicago. 

The two concessions stands, although quite different in taste, have similar opinions when it comes to the Taste of Veishea event in Ames each year during Veishea week. 

Campbell’s Concessions

Campbell’s Concessions is one familiar face Cyclone fans will recognize at this year’s Taste of Veishea event. 

Campbell’s Concessions, owned by Eric Campbell and his family, has been passed down from generation to generation since 1954. The food stand, first ran by Campbell’s grandfather, was passed down to Campbell as the main operator about 10 years ago.

For Campbell, running a food stand has been the only thing he’s known for most of his life, and it’s something that he’s always found enjoyment in doing.

“The part I like the most is getting it all ready and set up for that crowd that comes in through the gate,” Campbell said. “For me, that’s the best part, just getting ready because then you know what’s going to happen when they get the event going.”

Campbell also said he enjoys the opportunity of getting to meet so many different people at each event.

“Every event we do has a different taste,” Campbell said.

The Taste of Veishea is just one event where ISU fans and students may see Campbell’s Concessions. 

Cyclone fans may have seen Campbell’s Concessions at Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum. The concessions stand is coming up on its third year serving the fans in Jack Trice and Hilton. 

After serving students, alumni and fans of Iowa State, Campbell decided it would be a good idea to get involved with the Taste of Veishea. Campbell said he is excited to return for his second year serving at the event. 

“Since we were up there selling our corndogs and lemonade at Jack Trice and Hilton, we felt we should be a part of anything at Iowa State,” Campbell said. “Whether it involves students or alumni, no matter what the event is. We also do a lot with the Iowa State Fair and they have good ties with Iowa State, which is also a big part of it.”

Campbell said he believes Taste of Veishea is a great event for anyone to get involved with. After last year’s poor weather, Campbell said he is hoping for a better turnout of attendees, and said that Campbell’s Concessions will have more of a presence this year at the event.

“We only brought one unit last year, and this year we’re bringing three. We’re taking on a more ‘food court’ atmosphere and we’re putting a big gamble on this,” Campbell said.

Campbell said he’s excited to be a part of this event again.

“Iowa State is a great place to be,” Campbell said. 

Uncle Zobra’s Greek Food

For those looking to get away from typical American food and to try a different taste at the event, Uncle Zorba’s Greek Food will be a great vendor choice, offering authentic Greek food for attendees.

If you’ve attended Taste of Veishea before, you may have seen Uncle Zorba’s Greek Food stand among the concessions offered. Uncle Zorba’s, started 21 years ago, has been a part of Taste of Veishea for the past 18 years. 

Uncle Zorba’s Greek Food is based out of Chicago and run by Kostas Koronakis. Taste of Veishea will be the first event of the season for Koronakis and Uncle Zorba’s Greek Food. 

“This has been part of our route, as we call it, for a long time,” Koronakis said. “We do a lot of events over the season and Veishea is always the first event.” 

Koronakis said he loves participating in the event and has always had a good experience. 

“I have nothing but good words about Veishea,” Koronakis said. “You could say it is one of our favorite events we do.”

Uncle Zorba’s first became a part of Taste of Veishea almost two decades ago when the event did not have any authentic Greek food offered. The concessions stand was accepted and they were then invited back, year after year.

“We like working with the Taste of Veishea because we always have a good experience and good cooperation with the student body and the coordinators.” Koronakis said. “We love working with professional and organized teams; it makes our job so much easier, so we are in a position to provide our services to the best of our ability.”

Koronakis said he is looking forward to serving the attendees at the event for another year and said he hopes for better weather than last year.

“I am always excited to come to Veishea. Like I said, nothing but good words about it,” Koronakis said.

Taste of Veishea

Both vendors hope to see a good turnout at the event this year and encourage students, faculty and alumni to get out and get a “taste of Veishea.” 

Taste of Veishea will be open from 5 p.m. until 3 a.m. Friday and 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday in the Molecular Biology Parking Lot and Union Drive.