Captain Planet to appear in Veishea parade

Rebecca Chamberlin

Veishea has a long tradition as a celebration of education, student organizations and the culmination of the school year. However, it is also has a strong tradition of Live Green promotion on the behalf of green initiative student groups.

Each year these students set up a Live Green tent in Veishea Village that hosts a variety of educational booths about the work that they do and how students can make Iowa State a more environmentally friendly institution. One such student organization is the GreenHouse Group, which will be advocating recycling during Veishea. The GreenHouse Group’s booth is sponsored by Dasani water and will be handing out sustainable products, shirts and hats in exchange for cans, bottles and flyers to recycle.

The booth will also feature a counter that keeps track of the amount of recycled material throughout the day. According to Casey Fangmann, senior in industrial engineering and president of the GreenHouse Group, in previous years of Veishea, the GreenHouse Group has been able to collect 2,000 to 2,500 cans and bottles. This year they are looking to top those numbers.

One promotional technique to accomplish this goal is the appearance of Captain Planet who will be sporting a full body spandex earth suit and walking in the parade. He will also be handing out green latex gloves to students wishing to be caught green handed retrieving cans and bottles from waste bins to be recycled.

The Live Green tent will be located near Ross Hall from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Veishea Saturday.