Senior art students debut projects at 2012 BFA Juried Senior Student Exhibition

Alexandra Smith

Seniors studying fine arts will be debuting their art projects in the exhibit “Primed” as part of the 2012 BFA Juried Senior Student Exhibition. 

ISU alumna and studio artist Katy Stone will be selecting entered art pieces for special recognition and present comments on work entered. 

The “Primed” opening reception and awards presentation will start at 5 p.m. Wednesday in the College of Design.

“Primed” will feature 90 student-made pieces in the areas of ceramics, drawing, digital media, fiber, metal, mixed media, painting, photography and printmaking. 

Kelly Sandos, senior in integrated studio arts, entered her digital photography piece called “Looking Beyond,” which she created while studying abroad last semester in Florence, Italy. Sandos photographed models in Italy in different historical locations. 

“We spent roughly three or four hours shooting in different locations that day and then I spent around the same amount of time in photo editing that night,” Sandos said. 

Another project entered was “Mobot,” a digital animation by Ashlin Travers, senior in integrated studio arts. Mobot is a digital robot that moves its claws around and jumps at the viewer before the animation is over. 

“The mobot took about three months to complete, working constantly every weekday,” Travers said. “It’s one of my strongest pieces.” 

A mural painted by five seniors also will be on display in the Gallery Room during the reception. Each student designed their own section of the wall, then collaborated with the others.

“I did the letters ISA in graffiti to represent Integrated Studio Art,” said Art Vongphakdy, senior in integrated studio arts. 

Vongphakdy said he usually focuses on metal working, but still has a love for graffiti. 

“I have a lot of graffiti in my background prior to college, but I can’t just walk around doing it,” Vongphakdy said. 

Each student working on the mural got a week and a half to think of what they wanted to draw on the mural. Robert Songkham, senior in integrated studio arts, usually works with digital arts; however, he contributed to the mural after being approached by Vongphakdy.

“I was a little nervous because we only had three or four days to paint the mural,” Songkham said.

The mural will be on display from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. “Primed” will be open to the public until April 19.