Manderscheid discusses ‘opportunities for growth’ in provost search open forum

Photo: Nick Nelson/Iowa State Daily

David Manderscheid, one of three finalists for Iowa State’s senior vice president and provost position, speaks at an open forum Tuesday, April 24, in the Memorial Union. Manderscheid currently is the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Nebraska and previously served as professor and chairman of the department of mathematics at the University of Iowa for six years.

Katelynn Mccollough

The open forums for the finalists in the search for Iowa State’s new senior vice president and provost continued with David Manderscheid discussing the future of Iowa State.

Manderscheid was the second finalist to host an open forum Tuesday in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

“I’m not going to lay out a precise vision,” Manderscheid began after being introduced by Steven Freeman, president of the Faculty Senate. “I’m not going to lay out anything close to a vision.”

Manderscheid did not give any exact solutions to issues or decisions that came up during the forum, but explained he would “adopt solutions to the local situations” if chosen as the new provost.

Iowa State’s status as a land-grant school was a draw for Manderscheid, whose parents both attended Iowa State. Manderscheid said he was a “believer” in the land-grant education style.

During Manderscheid’s 20-minute presentation, he discussed Iowa State’s strengths through being a premier land-grant institution, providing a quality education, its research and creative activity, and the extension and outreach programs.

He also pointed out five areas where he saw issues. These ranged from support and the funding Iowa State receives, Iowans’ access to education, the university’s infrastructure being able to hold up to the number of incoming schools, diversity and Iowa State’s ability to keep qualified faculty with smaller budgets.

“We will work together to be strategic, to build on our strengths,” Manderscheid said. “As my record shows, I get things done and I get the right things done.”

Manderscheid listed a long number of accomplishments in his previous positions as dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and as the chairman of the department of mathematics for the University of Iowa before that.

The majority of the forum consisted of the faculty, staff and few students in attendance asking Manderscheid questions.

Questions dealt with a wide variety of topics ranging from the future of university libraries to the size of student enrollment. Manderscheid did not offer any specific solutions for any questions, but referred to his past experiences and his hopes for the future.

Freeman explained he was pleased with the size of attendance at the open forums so far. He said there is a chance that the new provost will be named by the end of the first week in May and hopes he or she can take the position soon after “negotiations” take place.

Manderscheid said he was excited for “such tremendous opportunities” at Iowa State. “I see opportunities for growth.”

The third and final open forum for Carlo Montemagno will begin at 10:45 a.m. Friday in the Memorial Union Gallery Room.