Doughnut Run 5K — Eat your heart out!

Randi Reeder

It’s the 5K (3.1 miles) where students can eat doughnuts during a race and still improve their finishing time. The 2012 “Doughnut Run” will start this Saturday.

The race starts at 10 a.m. with registration beginning at 8 a.m.

This year, the route has been revised to trace across campus, with part of it following the infamous Curtiss to Beardshear Run challenge.

The new Doughnut Run course will start at Agronomy Hall, run down engineering row, around Friley Hall and Lake LaVerne. The course weaves in and out of campus and ends at the Campanile on Central Campus. A map of the full route is available to see online.

The Curtiss to Beardshear Run is an extra option for the more experienced runners or those who do not have a easily upset stomach. When getting to Central Campus, runners are given the option of sprinting up to the top and back down the Beardshear stairs and then finishing the race across Central Campus to the top of the steps of Curtiss.

Throughout the run there will be four doughnut stations. The first station will be on the north side of the Hoover Hall in the grass. The second and fourth will be on the corner of Union Drive and Morrill Road and the third will be in the middle of the course when it loops around by Agronomy Hall. Along with the Krispy Crème doughnuts, the stations will also provide water. For each doughnut a person eats, time will be subtracted from the finishing time. Runners are encouraged to eat the doughnuts, but it is not required.

Individuals and teams can still sign up early for the race and run for $20. On race day the fee to run will be $25.

To register for the run go to active.com and search “doughnut run.” The first 600 participants who sign up will receive a custom 2012 Doughnut Run pint glass. Individuals as well as teams can sign up. Costumes for the run are encouraged. A team with the best costumes will be presented with the best costume award.

Other awards are the top 3 fastest men and women, top 3 fastest men and women with adjusted doughnut time, most doughnuts eaten by a male and female, and fastest team with doughnut adjusted time.

For more information, go to the ISU Triathlon Club website or their Facebook page.