Avalos, Darrell set to debate morality through the Bible

Katelynn Mccollough

Hector Avalos and Keith Darrell will each take a hand at persuading students, faculty, staff and community members on whether the Bible is the source for absolute moral rules in today’s society.

The debate will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday night in 2055 Hoover Hall.

“It’s a cultural issue that many people are discussing one way or the other,” Darrell said about the chosen topic. “The idea of morality is a fascinating topic. You come off to college and, you’re suddenly tempted with things that may not have been issues the first 18 years of your life, and you kind of have new intellectual ideas.”

Darrell, evangelist and member of Whitefield Fellowship, explained that he met members of the ISU Atheist and Agnostic Society a year ago and began to give presentations at their meetings. It was not long before, with the help of the society, that a debate was set up with Avalos.

“It’s [the topic] one that is common in discourse in America … from abortion to gay rights, a lot of things are argued on the basis of the Bible,” Avalos said.

Darrell presented Avalos with two possible subjects he felt comfortable debating. One being the existence of God and the other on whether the Bible is the source for absolute moral rules in today’s society.

In October 2011, Avalos chose the topic concerning the Bible, and the two have been preparing ever since.

“[The Bible] always is a timely subject,” Avalos explained. “To what extent should the Bible be an authority today?”

Avalos has chosen to debate the Bible is not the source of absolute moral rules today, and Darrell has chosen to debate on the affirmative.

“This is actually my first formal debate in this sort of setting, my first time here at Iowa State University,” Darrell said, who earned a Master of Divinity from Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri. “I’m prepared. I’m here, and I’m prepared. I’m very excited and anxious.”

Darrell and Avalos have agreed that the definition of an absolute moral rule is “one that does not change due to time or circumstance.”

The debate will begin with each side getting 20 minutes for opening statements, with Darrell going first. This will be followed by each getting 10 minutes for rebuttal, then 5-minute rebuttals and a conclusion of 5-minute closing statements.

At the end of the debate, audience members will have the opportunity to ask either debater questions concerning the topic or given points.

Avalos and Darrell both agreed that the debate, as well as the audience, will remain respectful, even with a topic that can be considered controversial.

“They’ll ask some challenging questions, so I’ll expect that,” Avalos said, who has participated in several campus debates in his 19 years at Iowa State. “Usually people have been very respectful, people at universities expect a more scholarly presentation.”

Darrell also explained that they understand not everyone will agree, but is still expecting the debate to remain civil.

“I have no personal animosity toward anyone who doesn’t agree with me,” Darrell said. “I expect it to be very calm in a free flowing campus environment.”

Both have listed readings they suggest anyone interested in attending take a look at before attending, though it is not a requirement in order to understand the discussions.

“I think for anyone entering it would be helpful to enter with basic background,” Darrell said. “You kind of hope people come in with basic philosophical categories, and that you’re not necessarily teaching, but you’re just able to go into your debate.”

Avalos and Darrell both share strong interests in biblical studies, but have both come to this interest in very different journeys.

Darrell explained he became a believer in 1993, which happens to be the same year that Avalos became a professor at Iowa State.

After beginning to study economics and finance, Darrell made quite the lifestyle change and turned to the church. For the past two years he has spent much of his time traveling and preaching for Whitefield Fellowship.

Avalos, on the other hand, began, as he described, as a “child evangelist” in Mexico and Arizona. He chose to then become a biblical scholar but, instead of strengthening his beliefs, explained that the study of the Bible made him a nonbeliever.

Even with their differing backgrounds, both seem excited to debate on Thursday.

“I hope to demonstrate to Christians that we have a reason for the hope that we have; it’s not a blind faith,” Darrell said. “Secondly to introduce some new ideas that maybe they haven’t been exposed to. … My chief end is to glorify God.”

Avalos has a very straightforward goal for the debate.

“The purpose of debates is education. Give people information so they can make up their own minds. He gives his information, I give mine, and then people decide”

The debate is sponsored by the ISU Atheist and Agnostic Society and the ISU Philosophy and Religious Studies Club. Hector Avalos and Keith Darrell will each take a hand at persuading students, faculty, staff and community members on whether the Bible is the source for absolute moral rules in today’s society.

The debate is sponsored by the ISU Atheist and Agnostic Society and the ISU Philosophy and Religious Studies Club.