SPRING SPORTS: Rising star appears as Saina builds legacy as Cyclone

Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State’s Betsy Saina rounds one of her final laps during the Women’s 5,000 meter run on Saturday at Lied Rec Center. Saina placed first with a time of 15 minutes and 50.74 seconds, putting her at the top of the Division I standings. Saina’s victory also places her at the fifth-fastest time worldwide this season.

Stephen Koenigsfeld

During her past three seasons at Iowa State, junior Betsy Saina has been building an impressive resume with her time on the ISU women’s track team.

Accumulating four Big 12 titles in the 5,000- and 3,000-meter runs, more than 10 podium finishes at national meets for the mile, 5k and 3k, and a plethora of stadium, school and national records, Saina is on course to be one of the most decorated track athletes to emerge from Iowa State.

The junior in adult, child and family services has a vague idea of what she is looking for after graduation next spring.

“I’m just interested in helping people in general, doing things like social services, but that’s my goal is to help people,” Saina said.

As far as running goes, Saina said she wasn’t quite sure if she would continue competing after college or if she would just focus on a career. No matter what, focusing on the task at hand won’t be difficult for her.

“I’m not sure about it, but if things go well, then I’ll [continue competing],” Saina said. “Right now, it’s just focusing on college and make sure I do train, because before focusing on [the future], I need to do great things here first.”

It wasn’t all gold and silver for Saina since the beginning of her freshman year. Saina had another barrier to cross coming to Iowa State: the cultural barrier.

“My freshman year was harder because I was trying to get the transition over here, like the American stuff,” Saina said. “Kenya is just a little different.”

Hailing from Kenya, Saina said school also was a little hard to get used to. Components such as catching up with the language barrier and trying to learn to fit in with everyone were challenges that Saina quickly overcame to progress as an athlete, as well as a student.

Most recently, Saina won her second straight conference title in the 5,000-meter run in the Big 12 Indoor Championships. In the same weekend, Saina earned the gold in the 3,000-meter run as well.

Saina also talked about how her teammates and coaches have played a role in her progress at Iowa State.

“My teammates and the coaches are supportive and they make sure that everything I did goes well,” Saina said. “Whenever I had a problem, I would talk to them and they would just help me.”

Coach Corey Ihmels is in his fifth year at the helm of the track team and has been there with Saina every step of the way since she has joined the team.

“She is somebody that has really matured from when she first arrived,” Ihmels said. “She didn’t set the world on fire her first race when she was here, but we could see the potential very early.”

Through her ups and downs, Ihmels said Saina has stuck with it through and through.

“She’s just someone that’s had some good things happen and she’s had some bad things happen, but she’s stayed the course,” Ihmels said. “She’s really coming into her own and I think she’s scratched the surface on what we’re doing.”

Ihmels isn’t the only other coach who has seen great progress in Saina and is excited to see what else she can bring to the team.

“The difference between her as a freshman and her now is just confidence,” said assistant coach Travis Hartke. “She’s always been pretty good, but she’s never had the belief in herself like she does right now.”

Hartke said if Saina keeps growing in herself confidently as well as physically as a runner, there’s no telling what she can accomplish her senior year.

Hartke and Ihmels both agreed Saina has taken leaps and bounds since starting out as a freshman at Iowa State. Saina has gradually moved up from the third and second positions on the distance team into the No. 1 runner for the women.

Saina will compete in her second national indoor championship on March 10. Last year, Saina placed third overall and Hartke said she’s got a chance to bring home the gold this year.

“She has a shot at winning nationals if she keeps progressing and if she keeps confident and building aerobically,” Hartke said. “She’ll be above everybody.”