Letter to the editor: To get rid of racism, ignore it

Sam Badger

Is racism prevalent at Iowa State? In some aspects, yes, but I wouldn’t go far to say that what is seen here “is the butt of America. It’s like walking back 40 years.” That, in my opinion, is a little extreme. Was the state of Iowa more intolerant and racist in 1972? Probably, but I don’t know; I wasn’t alive. Neither were the majority of students enrolled at Iowa State. On a campus of nearly 30,000 students, there are going to be few who have negative feelings toward other races.

Racism will always exist in society. It is sad to say, but I think we can limit the effects of racism in an age where everyone has access to Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc. In those mediums, one can expect to see some racism here and there, but unless you are famous, it usually is ignored.

But when someone is offended by a term used in the Daily, the effects are more widespread. What I completely disagree with is how the Iowa State Daily handled it. Apologize, write one article about it and that is it. By bringing more focus to this issue and getting rid of the “Just Sayin'” portion, it is only emphasizing and reinforcing stereotypes. I don’t think there needs to be a dozen articles in the next few issues about the topic of racism.

I don’t want this to be published. I just wanted to vent. If you pay no mind to insensitive comments, the people saying it don’t get the recognition for being ignorant. And there is less incentive to make those idiotic comments in the first place.

Embellishing what may or may not have been seen as a “racist remark” only propagates stereotypes and racism. I agree the Daily editor should have apologized and written an article saying it won’t happen again, but to make it the central issue on campus doesn’t solve any problems. The people who are racist aren’t going to have their views changed by a few articles in the university newspaper or a little more awareness. Ignore the racist comments to lessen their impact.