New interim dean for the college of business

Kiana Roppe

Michael Crum has been promoted to serve as interim dean for the College of Business. He is replacing Labh Hira who served as dean since 2001, but he announced his plans in October to step down.

The decision was made by Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Hoffman and President Steven Leath. Crum will serve as interim dean for up to two years. This will allow the new provost, when hired, time to appoint a dean during their term.

“I consulted a number of people in the college, including members of the search committee, about who should be the interim dean,” Hoffman said. “The unanimous recommendation was Mike Crum.”

The decision was initially made for Crum to serve as interim dean beginning July 1, but due to Labh Hira’s immediate transfer to interim president of the ISU Foundation, Crum began fulfilling both the associate dean of graduate programs and the interim dean positions this week.

He has worked at Iowa State since 1980 with supply chain management as his academic discipline. Crum has conducted research in transportation and logistics and fostered relationships with various people across campus. Hoffman said his relationships and experience are part of why he was chosen for this position.

Crum said that he feels “quite honored and excited.” He explained that the College of Business is on an upward trend and he hopes to help that continue. “This college has a lot of great things going on. It truly is because of the people.”

Crum also explained there were two areas he would like to give more attention during his term. He said he aims to provide business students with a greater sense of community and more international opportunities like study abroad.

To begin creating a greater sense of community, Crum said he plans to interact with staff, students, alumni and others closely related with the college, to allow for open comments and discussion about the future.

“It’s important that our office engages more with the students,” Crum said. He also said that he wants students to know who he is and that they should feel able interact with him on a day-to-day basis.

“I’m accessible,” he said.