Students seek internships, jobs at Design Career Day Expo

Alexandra Smith

The Design Career Day Expo brought students out of the woodwork to look for future internships and jobs. Many companies lined up in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union seeking college business professionals.

Bratney Company, a Des Moines company that designs seed grain, was in attendance.

“We’re looking for someone with an industrial design background and some architecture background,” said Gregg Rivers, of Bratney Company.

Most businesses need four to five people for summer internships and graduate students for full-time positions. Businesses also are looking for people to be entertaining and adaptable to change with the ever-changing industry.

“We are also looking for very creative thinkers,” Rivers said.

Steve Oliver from BLDD Architecture said he was looking for good communicators and good eye contact in people when they approached him at career day. He said it also is good to get in contact with the company after the Career Expo is over to show the student is really interested in the position.

“Send a follow up email,” Oliver said.

Many students were at the expo with skills to fill the many positions available during career day.

Matthew Obbink, graduate student in architecture, was at the expo in hopes of finding a job to set off his career.

“I’m looking for a full time job in hopefully architecture, but I’m just excited to be graduating,” Obbink said.