Biden speech to further campaign, talk economics

Democratic vice presidential candidate Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., speaks during a rally, Monday, Sept. 8, 2008, in Des Moines, Iowa.

Courtesy photo: Charlie Neibergall/AP

Katelynn Mccollough

Vice President Joe Biden will speak at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Howe Hall.

According to an advisory from the White House, Biden will “discuss the Administration’s proposals to reward businesses that bring manufacturing jobs back to America.”

Biden’s visit comes as the Obama administration heats up its campaign efforts. Steffen Schmidt, university professor of political science, said that Iowa remains a “battleground state” that could go either Republican or Democrat in the upcoming November elections.

“This year, it looks like it will go Republican, so the Democrats are trying to start early organizing in these crucial states,” Schmidt said. “[President Barack] Obama and Biden already have the most local organizations of any state starting to build the organization for voter turnout and volunteers.”

Students needed to pre-purchase tickets for the event in order to attend. However, the tickets were sold out.

“I hope to see a turnout of invested people … ready and willing to engage,” said Ross Kimm, sophomore in finance and political science and an intern responsible for the Obama for America campaign on the ISU campus. “The vice president’s presence on our campus puts the presidential election front and center.”

The Obama administration has proposed tax cuts for companies that keep manufacturing jobs within the U.S. This is set to be the main topic of Biden’s speech.

“Lots of countries try to promote particular industries,” said Harvey Lapan, university professor of economics. “The U.S. has done it, but kind of in different ways … it’s not really new.”

The proposed tax cuts would go toward the manufacturing sector, while possibly raising taxes for companies that choose to outsource jobs.

Lapan said that some economists would prefer an “across-the-board” plan for stimulating the economy, compared to just one sector such as manufacturing.

“I don’t think it’s going to credibly change the path of employment,” Lapan said of the administrations proposal, who also stated that currently, “economic growth is pretty good.” 

Obama outlined the proposal to reward businesses for keeping jobs local in his State of the Union address January, as well as in his visit to Cedar Rapids  last month.

Kimm said that it is important for students from “both ends of the spectrum” to follow Biden’s visit to Iowa State.

“His presence opens up a dialog for students to ask questions, kick around ideas and come up with solutions,” Kimm said.

Doors open for those with tickets at 9:15 a.m. and close at 11 in the Howe Hall Atrium.