Troxel Hall on schedule to provide state-of-the-art lecture space

Troxel Hall will be the newest classroom auditorium at Iowa State. It will seat 400 people and construction will be completed in March 2013.

Kelly Madsen

The 400-seat Troxel Hall is expected to allow undergraduates to “get off to the right start” in getting a degree by providing more space for prerequisite classes. Construction for Troxel Hall began in late October and is tentatively scheduled to be completed in March 2013.

Troxel Hall will not only provide Iowa State with a state-of-the-art science auditorium, but also an increased opportunity for many students to graduate in four years.

“Troxel Hall will offer more space for large chemistry lectures,” said David Holger, associate provost of academic programs and dean of the graduate college. “It will provide additional seats so students don’t have to wait an extra semester to take chemistry.”

Almost all ISU students majoring in engineering and physical sciences will be able to utilize the entry-level chemistry classes taught in Troxel Hall, Holger said.

“Because of the recent enrollment growth and the majors in which that growth is occurring, it is more apparent that we needed more room for entry-level chemistry and other physical sciences,” Holger said. “Ideally this will allow undergraduates to get the classes they need to graduate in four years.”

Along with allowing more students to get into prerequisite classes, Troxel Hall is specifically designed for teaching science.

“Troxel Hall will have the equipment and space for live instructor demonstrations,” said Keith Woo, professor of chemistry. “In addition, it will have the space for students to work in groups.”

There will also be data projectors, document cameras and an audio system in the main auditorium.

“Troxel Hall will make the learning experience more effective and fun — if it can be fun,” Holger said.

Holger said Iowa State has recognized for a long time the need for additional high-quality, large lecture halls. Currently, most high-quality lecture halls are being used at all available hours.

“Troxel Hall will free up space for other courses that chemistry courses are currently taking the place of,” Holger said, “specifically in Hoover Hall and MacKay Hall, which weren’t built with the intentions of teaching chemistry.”

Troxel Hall will be located on the east side of campus between the greenhouses of Horticulture Hall and the Landscape Architecture Building.

“As far as I know, construction is progressing well, especially because of this mild winter,” Holger said. “The contractors are taking full advantage of this winter.”

In addition to being a state-of-the-art science classroom, Troxel Hall is expected to be one of the most sustainable buildings on campus.

Plans for Troxel Hall incorporate high-performance sustainable strategies including zero run-off, natural daylighting and energy recovery. This will ideally result in a LEED platinum building status.

The Change Happens Foundation of Honolulu, Hawaii, provided the lead donation for Troxel Hall. The building will be named for Douglas D. Troxel, a 1967 ISU graduate in mathematics, who is the president and chief executive officer of the private family foundation.

The $5 million donation by the Change Happens Foundation matched some of the university’s highest needs and will allow for growth as a university, Holger said.